Currently brewing beer, would like to try larger. Any advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schnell88

Reaction score
Im currently brewing a young's bitter, and the temperature needs to be between 18 degrees C and 24 degrees C. Ive read that for larger it needs to be a lot less. Possibly around 12.

Is that only if you use a larger yeast, and is there any kits for larger that are at the room temperature of a bitter kit?

Thank you..

Give a coopers kit a go they do a good range of lagers which are fermentable at room temperatures.

You can still get excelent results from fermenting at room temperature with a larger yeast but to achieve the smoothness of a good larger your better off fermenting at around 12 degrees C & when fermentation is complete secondary fermenting for about 2-3 weeks between 2 & 0 degrees C :thumb:

it was a unpleasaent suprise to find out lager yeast smells like rotten eggs when fermenting, :sick: keep it well out of the way.

I'm doing a coopers european lager at then mo and it says it should be matured for 12 weeks before tasing :eek: gona be a while having that hanging about. don think i have the patience to have a Russian stout about for 18months....

:lol: The rotten egg aroma will be carried off by the C02 during the largering period, the first time I smelt it I nearly tipped the brew down the sink :lol: good job I did'nt :thumb: Patience is the most difficult thing in this hobby :| I made a Belgian ale "Kwak Pawel" from extract it worked out at %ABV 9. 10 days after bottling it was almost undrinkable :sick: like drinking pure alcohol with loads of hops thrown in, so I chucked the bottles in the shed, a year later it was as smooth as velvet, Im going to do an AG version of that one very soon :thumb: :cheers:

The Coopers cheap range kits such as Lager, Draught etc actually come with a packet of all purpose ale yeast under the lid. However their up market range such as European Lager do come with a genuine lager yeast. However just plain old Coopers Lager in the green tin makes a convincing lager if used with a genuine yeast like Saflager s-23.

Iv heard the Coopers kits are very good :thumb: but Im almost a completely AG brewer these days :grin: the Saflager s-23 is an excelent larger yeast, I have used it a couple of times with great results :thumb: Talking of Coopers just reminded me, I must have a crack at Coopers sparkling ale, I havnt seen that in the shops here for a while now :idea: :cry: :thumb:

I've done the Coopers Bavarian with 1Kg of Extra light LME and Whitelabs 838 yeast . . . .It didn't really taste like lager, even though I followed my usual lager techniques.

The Muntons Continental Pilsner OTOH isn't bad brewed with a genuine lager yeast

I beleave the secret to making lager taste like lager is apart from good yeast, primary fermentation temperature :wha: about 12 degrees, followed by lagering at about 2 degrees for as long as possible, for that clean lager taste, trouble is my beer fridge only goes down to about 4 degrees :( & any largering over 2 months may require additional yeast at bottling, next time Il do as the Germans do & use a krausen wort with fresh yeast. :thumb:

Back