Crystal 60

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
crystal 80 is about the closest we get that's easily available.

The Americans have a lot more varieties than us

fishplate said:
What would be the equivalent in the UK of Crystal 60. Thanks

Crystal 60 would usually refer to 60 degrees Lovibond, which is the standard in the States, this approximates to x2 to get EBC (European Brewing Congress) and this would be the equivalent of 120 EBC which is the standard crystal sold here.

Yes, I think buying 'crystal' malt would do but nothing 'high colour' ie. High colour 400 etc..

Crystal tends not to have 'colour' rating.

After that you get anything from 100 - 1200 in brewerys they are marked as 'High Colour' then then Number.

Dont take it as fact as the US bretherin have different rules but I would put 'Crystal' in your colour requirements.

D :thumb:

I buy Thomas Fawcett and Sons Crystall II -65L which is very similar to our standard C60 from a color standpoint. Taste wise, the UK version is much better!

Here our breweries classify caramel malts as follows: extra dark 500+, dark 350, regular 100-180, red 40-70, pale 25, light 3-8 (this is usually some kind of carapils, rarely used if at all, as all breweries use either double decoction or stepped mash). Taste-wise I don't notice any difference between 120 and 180 EBC crystal malts.

The MM sells Pale Crystal EBC 50-70, Crystal EBC 120-140, Dark Crystal 200-400 and Extra Dark Crystal EBC 340 all of which are Thomas Fawcett malts I believe.

I use Pale Crystal quite a lot for colour and flavour in pale ales.

Back