Counterflow chiller - Hosepipe problems

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macsrevenge

Reaction score
I have a problem with my hose, it just isn't thick enough :oops:

making a counterflow chiller as per RonBlog and have 12.5mm ID hose with 10mm OD microbore copper pipe, spent the last hour trying to thread these together and didn't manage even with hot water and washing up liquid. He suggests 15mm or 5/8" hosepipe but I cant find 10 metre lengths for a decent price anywhere.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Have you tried another lubricant like cooking oil or something not to toxic to wash down a drain? I know washing up liquid is a bit of an **** to lubricate stuff at times as your adding water to it which washes it away. And try running boiling water down the hose first to warm it up and make it more supple.
Other than that and alot of patience, 8mm piping or bigger hose!
Good luck!

cheers for that, will ahve to give the cooking oil a shot, failing that managed to source some 5/8" tubing which should do the job nicely :)

If the hot water is nearly working, you can get a hotter cup of water (nearer to 100C) by putting a cup of water in the microwave and heat until it is boiling well - then remove and quickly dunk the pipe in the cup for a 30 second soak - be very careful though because the water in the cup can spontaneously boil again as you put the pipe in and you could get scalded.

Latest posts

Back