Counter flow wort chiller

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I may be (well) wrong, but to me it looks like an motorbike oil cooler, if it is like that then I imagine you just run water through it like a regular chiller.

Now watch someone shoot me down in flames ;)

It looks good to me G :thumb: . a great price! I'm sure Aleman put a link on a recent thread about these 30 plate Heat Exchanges :hmm:
I'm on my iPhone at the moment so can't search .. If Aleman's about .. I'm certain he will add his link and put you right with this Heat Exchanger ;)
Good timing Wez :lol:

Wez - the one you have looks great, is it really as quick as it says? Do you just attach your hose and leave it on for five mins? How much water would you say it uses to cool down a 23litre brew? Do you have a pump or is it gravity fed?

sorry for all the questions :lol:
any pics of it in action :whistle:

The one I have is This 60 Plate one but If I had my time over again I would get one of These 30 Plate 66KW Ones Once you get to a certain number of plates it is the plate size that becomes more important rather than just increasing the number of them. . . . Yes they do work with gravity . . . and I would stand them on end so that the wort runs in the bottom and out of the top so that you know the interstices are full . . . IIRC Vossy discovered that he had to do this for efficient cooling with his large Plate chiller.

Aleman...Always here when you need him :clap: I knew I had seen it ;)

graysalchemy..I see that Aleman's link shows a higher KW rating..and costs £109. The one in your link is 66KW...I'm not sure what difference the extra rating would make!!!

It sounds like you have found a gem with either :clap:

I run sanitiser though one way then the other mainly, then pop it in the oven every so often to carbonate any lurking nasties

Back flush with water, then drain and into the pressure cooker . . . 20 minutes at High Pressure . . . then fill with boiling water and cap with SS blanking nuts . . . ready for use next time . .. Just drain water and go . . . I do recirculate with hot caustic and hot acid washes every 3 to 6 months to prevent a build up of beer stone

Latest posts

Back