Corny lids

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

labrewski

Landlord.
Reaction score
Is it just me or is it awful hassle with many attempts to get the lid secure any little tricks ??

do you mean how to seat it with a burst of high pressure or is the physical fitting of the lid if so I usually put the lid in then lift the corny with the lid handle and the weight of a full corny should seat the lid then lower to the floor and snap shut while you have some of the weight still on the lid

Just getting it air tight takes me a few attempts thought I was missing something evertime I purge air flying out guess I just need to find the knack lol

It may be that the seal needs replacing or that the lid lever is not closing tight enough if so a short term fix is to put a penny/twopence under the handle contact points with the lid so when you snap it shut it takes up any tolerance or wear in the handle. If thats what it is you will eventually need a new lid

Are the little plastic things that fit on the ends of the lever worn. Changed mine a while ago as they had a flat edge to them. Nice tight fit now 😉

Cheers. Tom

Some say that although in theory the lids fit either way round, one way is better than the other. Otherwise it’s a case of lubricating the seal and seating it under pressure before closing the lever.

Never had a problem with mine, always put a bit of lube on the seal first, try to seat the lid as good as possible then with the handle held in my hand sort of pulling up on it I blast 40 PSI in there and so long as gas isn't hissing out which rarely happens I close the handle and then purge a few times.

I use AEB kegs which have an oval lid. As others have said I find keg lube essential to get an easy seal. I have occasionally had problems with an o-ring lid seal, so I keep a few in stock, But with a good o-ring & keg lube I get a reliable seal without much trouble.

Try it both ways round mine fits better one way than the other on both legs which are different makes. Try to line it up first by pulling up on the ring then lock it off.

Back