Corny 310 beer cooler

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griff097

Chief Charwalla
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of getting a 310 type beer chiller and was wondering whether it would be CO2 or Nitro/mix that I would need to serve.
I am planning to have pub kegs of cider and lager as well so need mix gas for those, once my beer is carbed and conditioned I was guessing I could serve with the same gas?

Not a expert but think you will need different regulators for pub gas and co2. I am sure somebody with more knowledge will expand on it I also think serving lager and cider with pub gas may take some of the co2 out of it as it is replaced by co2 and nitro so it will slowly become slightly less fizzy me thinks and will pour like creamflow eventually

Anyone use a pub style beer chiller?
I've got the 310.
I've got the 210.
As well as my own beers I buy Amstel, Moretti, Estrella, etc, and various ciders.
In more normal times i drive to Germany and bring back lots of Kolsch.
I've got both types of gas.
You need different primary regulators for C02 and mixed gas, they are not interchangeable.
Mixed gas is at a much higher pressure than C02.
Nitrogen does not absorb into the beer like C02, but it gives you lots of small bubbles.
You need C02 to condition your beer, not mixed gas.
You can serve everything with C02 except perhaps Guinness and the likes of Smooth type beers.
I make lots of porter type beers and have no problem with head retention using C02.
The only time I use mixed is on the very rare occasion I run out of gas.
I find mixed gas more temperamental.
In my opinion you'll be doing yourself a favour if you stick to C02.

I've got the 310.
I've got the 210.
As well as my own beers I buy Amstel, Moretti, Estrella, etc, and various ciders.
In more normal times i drive to Germany and bring back lots of Kolsch.
I've got both types of gas.
You need different primary regulators for C02 and mixed gas, they are not interchangeable.
Mixed gas is at a much higher pressure than C02.
Nitrogen does not absorb into the beer like C02, but it gives you lots of small bubbles.
You need C02 to condition your beer, not mixed gas.
You can serve everything with C02 except perhaps Guinness and the likes of Smooth type beers.
I make lots of porter type beers and have no problem with head retention using C02.
The only time I use mixed is on the very rare occasion I run out of gas.
I find mixed gas more temperamental.
In my opinion you'll be doing yourself a favour if you stick to C02.
Do you serve the Moretti etc with CO2 as well?
I knew about the different regs and pressures etc
Just confused whether I needed two types of gas.
How many inputs does the 210/310 you use have?
Do you manage to keep the kegs at cellar temperature or double cool the beer by linking the loops in the chiller?

Do you serve the Moretti etc with CO2 as well?
I knew about the different regs and pressures etc
Just confused whether I needed two types of gas.
How many inputs does the 210/310 you use have?
Do you manage to keep the kegs at cellar temperature or double cool the beer by linking the loops in the chiller?
I serve everything with CO2.
Of my own beers only my lagers and some golden ales go through the chiller.
If I run both chillers I can chill 5 beers, but some I will double chill.
I have an insulated "box" that I run the pump chiller through that knocks the temperature down a bit but I'm taking apart tomorrow as I've got an idea of an improvement.
If I didn't have the mixed gas I wouldn't miss it, I rarely use it, and only then it's because I've ran out of CO2.
If I bought Guinness I'd use mixed, but that's a different mix than I've got anyway.
Stick to CO2.

I serve everything with CO2.
Of my own beers only my lagers and some golden ales go through the chiller.
If I run both chillers I can chill 5 beers, but some I will double chill.
I have an insulated "box" that I run the pump chiller through that knocks the temperature down a bit but I'm taking apart tomorrow as I've got an idea of an improvement.
If I didn't have the mixed gas I wouldn't miss it, I rarely use it, and only then it's because I've ran out of CO2.
If I bought Guinness I'd use mixed, but that's a different mix than I've got anyway.
Stick to CO2.
Thanks, that's answered a lot of the questions that were niggling me, I see this as easier than multiple fridges for serving and freedom to mix in pub casks.

Other than beers like Guinness which need nitrogen for the smooth bubbles you really only need mixed gas if the length of your beer lines means you need to use a higher pressure than that needed to maintain the correct carbonation level in the beer, with the typical line lengths in home bar and kegerator set ups it's not needed.

Latest posts

Back