Corning Keg Question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkrevat

Reaction score
I just took a 5 gallon keg that I bought used and filled it half way with sanitizer solution. I put the top on and was shaking it and water came out the top. I turned it upside down and it was leaking. Does this mean the keg is no good. Should I hold of on trying to use it today?

They only seal properly when under pressure, the gas pushes the lid tight up against the underside.

BB :thumb:

My 5 gal king keg seals fine without any pressure - I sanitised it last night just like you described and it didn't leak a drop.

As yours is a second hand keg I would check the condition of the seal (if it has one).

As BB said Corny kegs really only designed to seal under pressure with the hardened black seals supplied, though you may be lucky like Nick. Try removing the lid and re-seating it, they don't always go on right 1st, 2nd or 3rd time...it can be tricky :roll:
Use pressure first, then if you really want to be able to seal at no pressure look into super soft silicone seals, personally I'd use pressure :grin:

Sorry, I didn't read the title fully and assumed it was a king or budget keg!

Vossy1 said:
As BB said Corny kegs really only designed to seal under pressure with the hardened black seals supplied, though you may be lucky like Nick. Try removing the lid and re-seating it, they don't always go on right 1st, 2nd or 3rd time...it can be tricky :roll:
Use pressure first, then if you really want to be able to seal at no pressure look into super soft silicone seals, personally I'd use pressure :grin:
I also use sticky silicone grease on the seal. :thumb:

JABB said:
Vossy
Have you a link to the soft o rings?

i dont know about soft silicone o rings, but http://www.candirect.co.uk/ sell the softer red orings, tho the pnp from germany to the uk is a killer for a few odds n ends, they do sell lots of goodies and its hard not to get carried away. check out the co2 post markers brill idea for dingy cellars..

fyi its the NC kegs and not CC kegs you want to look under.

Fil said:
JABB said:
Vossy

i dont know about soft silicone o rings, but http://www.candirect.co.uk/ sell the softer red orings, tho the pnp from germany to the uk is a killer for a few odds n ends, they do sell lots of goodies and its hard not to get carried away. check out the co2 post markers brill idea for dingy cellars..

Thanks
Will be making an order, but like you say, you can get carried away. I also think I will get new posts for one of my kegs but am unsure which I need.

On an aside, why are they a .co.uk and german based?

JABB said:
Fil said:
JABB said:
Vossy

Thanks
Will be making an order, but like you say, you can get carried away. I also think I will get new posts for one of my kegs but am unsure which I need.

On an aside, why are they a .co.uk and german based?

as i said look at NC keg accessories for ball lock corny keg accessories on that site,, what NC stands for?? my best guess is Not Coke??
they have posts with and without poppets, me id get the one with..tho they call em valve plug assemblys not poppets.

i think the .co.uk site is a response to the business done with uk customers on the .de site.. lookup the german for United Kingdom before you start your order as you will need it to select your country for delivery purposes!!

Latest posts

Back