cornie - check valve - beer engine.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robsan77

Landlord.
Reaction score
Tried my first pint with my new pump and check valve but getting a lot of froth. It seems that when the beer passes through the check valve it froths up in the 12mm tubing before reaching the pump.

Has anyone got any ideas how i can get a smoother flow? Should i have a shorter 12mm length leading to the pump? What kind of psi should aim for in the cornie to a: force carbonate and b: dispense?

I had carbed to 40psi and dispensed around 3.

Any ideas welcome.

robsan77 said:
I had carbed to 40psi and dispensed around 3.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: Well Duh! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Use a short length of tube from the check valve to the Beer Engine . . . no more than 12 inches.

YOU NEED NO MORE THAN 1.2 VOLUMES OF CO2 IN YOUR BEER TO SERVE THROUGH A BEER ENGINE 40psi at 20ºC will give you 3.3 Volumes which is in the bottled Belgian Range. I don't know what temperature you are serving at but try setting it to 5-7PSI (Or even up to 10) which should give an adequate degree of condition for beer at 15-20ºC.

Remove all pressure from the keg, several times a day to allow the excess carbonation to come out of solution (Which will take a week or so) then set the pressure to a more sensible level and you should find it produces a nice pint.

Can I dispense at the same pressure (5-10) or do i need to reduce it?

Latest posts

Back