Cornelius Varitemp250

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean_Mc

Regular.
Reaction score
I got speaking to a guy who used to have his home bar and has a Varitemp250 that he no longer uses. Its about 9 years old still works, but has seldom been used. He said I could have it for £20 if I collect it.

The flash cooler has two input and outputs, no instructions and he said its something he never got to grips with....which kind of put me off.

I was planing on going down the keggerator route, just mulling this idea over so thought I'd google it, but can't find too much information.

Anyone know much about the Varitemp? From what I've found so far it seems to have a cover on the top and you fill it with water???

:cheers: Sean

I don't know anything specifically about the varitemp Sean but most coolers are similar.
Mine has a cover on the top which you slip sideways and then pour water into to fill the coolant reservoir. There should be a port with a red stopper in at one side of the cooler, where the product ports are. When the reservoir is full, water will start to overflow from the red stopper as it has a hole drilled into the top of it. It's worth keeping a small container under the overflow until the ice bath has formed as when the ice forms it tends to swell and push more water out through the overflow.
The product ports should be marked in and out. You attach your keg using beer line to the 'in' port, and then attach beer line from the out port to a beer engine. As you work the beer engine, beer is pulled through the product coil in the ice bath where it gets cold, then into the beer engine and into your glass.
There is a varitemp on e-bay at the moment. My main concern would be if it still works, and the only way to check that, is to run some water through the product coils, or take the top off and look at the ice bath to see if ones formed after it's been on for a while.

Have a look at this post to see the inside of a 2 line product chiller

Excellent, thanks Vossy. I'll pop and see it running before I commit.
Its not something I was looking for so if its okay maybe worth a punt for £20.

Think I better read up on beer engines too.

Sean :thumb:

Arranged to to see it working, but it wasn't switched on or charged with water when I arrived. Think it must of taken about two gallons of water to fill it and left it switched on for half an hour or so whilst we had a chat.

Water going in was 6c, gunk and eventually water coming out was 2-3c and the reservoir water was reading -0.5c, so snapped his hand off for £20 :D :D :D

Obviously it needs a good flush with solution and water to rinse and its much bigger than I thought it would be, fairly quiet though.

Need an engine now, so back to ebay for a look see :hmm:

Are there any pubs left in Nottingham? All the pumps on Ebay seem to be around Nottingham and going for 99p, with a collection only stipulation :wha: , maybe a little far for me.

Found what seems like a tidy one near me for £20, see how it goes :cool:

Latest posts

Back