Coolbox Mash Tun Problems

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GazBar

Reaction score
Hi all, I have finally began getting things together for my AG setup. I spent a couple of hours on Friday converting an old Asda coolbox. Everything seemed to go well and I was pretty pleased with the result. However, when i tested it with water it lost nearly 4°C in 90mins. I was suprised as I had added several layers of bubble wrap and tin foil to help insulate it. It was also pre heated. Do you think its wort carrying on with this box and just wrapping it with camping mats or should I give up and buy a better coolbox and start over.

Cheers
Garry

The cheaper boxes are less efficient - however that doesnt mean they are a total loss. Water will loose heat MUCH faster than Grains and Water :thumb:

Try a double layer of tin foil on top of the mash ;) too.

+1 for wot wez said.

You'll find that with grain in as well the coolbox will perform much better. I used a cheap one for years and would only lose a degree over 90 minutes.

IIRC, I got mine from ASDA as well. About 7 quid from memory.

If you want to improve your coolbox, Take it apart, if you can, and remove the polystyrene, & replace it with expanding foam, more important to do this to the lid.

If it doesn't come apart, very carefully drill the outer skin & squirt in expanding foam in several places, I did this to mine & now it drops by around 0.5 degree in 90 mins.

Shane

I have taken the box apart and wrapped the inner tub in bubble wrap, but I may remove the poly and replace it with expanding foam. Will definately do that with the lid.

:thumb:
Cheers
Garry

Latest posts

Back