Converting a ASDA coolbox into a mash tun

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corby_brewer

Landlord.
Reaction score
Well tonight i finaly got round to setting up my mash tun.
its a cheap asda cool box. i took it apart and wraped the inner shell with aliminium foil. then two layers of bubble wrap, then another layer of aliminium foil. replace the polystyrene and wraped another layer of aliminium foil around that then another layer of bubble wrap. and finaly another layer of aliminium foil put it all back togeter. took the lid apart and added foil and bubble wrap.
Filled it with water which was 65 degrees and left it for 90 minutes with nothing wraped around the outside. After 45 minutes the temperature was still 65 degrees and after 90 minutes the temperature was 63 degrees. Im more than happy with the results as ive only spent £7.50 and got a very well insulated mash tun.

Roll on my next brew so i can put it to use

There will be a couple of picture once ive fitted the tap and hop strainer. Also ive decided to stick some radiator heat refelting material onto the out side hopfull with this ill cut the heat loss back to 1 degree.

If you preheat the tun then given that the mash will have a much higher thermal capacity than just water it will probably already lose less than 1 degree over a 90 minute mash.

ano said:
If you preheat the tun then given that the mash will have a much higher thermal capacity than just water it will probably already lose less than 1 degree over a 90 minute mash.

Thanks Ano. :thumb:

Taps on order so should be finished on saturday. have to think of another brew now to test it out.

Finaly got round to finishing my mash tun, all ive got to do know is make the strainer. got all the bits but cant find any where that sell a 3/4" to 15mm connector.

BES do them. Beware the delivery charge. I'm putting an order in this week if you want me to get one. The plumb centre or other plumbing suppliers will do them though.

AT LAST I FINALY GOT ROUND TO FINISHING MY MASH TUN :clap: :party:

got theinsulation down to a key, it dosnt lose anything over a 90 minute test.
001-7.jpg

the strainer fitted, ony took me 3 hours to cut all the pipe work, and all the slots.
002-3.jpg

to finish thing off a 99 minute countdown timer i brought from the pound shop.
003-3.jpg

Looks like Asda have redesigned there £7 cool-boxes.
Just bought one and the lid is one piece of plastic that's 2mm thick.
So I've gaffer taped two layers of bubble foil on top. Fired up the HLT and will see what temp it holds with just water

Latest posts

Back