Control Box IP rated box? Waterproof box?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aamcle

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'm in serious need of a new box for my electronics, the plastic sarny box I'm using is too small and too ****. For my latest build I need to add more bits and more external connectors it's going to be untidy :-( .

The decent sized boxes I have seen on the bay are costly very costly.

Can you suggest any alternatives? They would need to accommodate-

PID unit 1/8 DIN
SSR + Heatsink
Fan
5 v power supply
12 v power supply
2 SPDT relays.
PWM for boil control
Pump speed control.
12v out for pump.
2 x connection for high and low level float switches.
Various surface mounted switches.

And just to keep it all tidy I would like to mount it on the side of the cool box that contains my pump and CFC.

Any suggestions please?

Many Thanks. Aamcle

Old itx pc tower case? u can use the psu for 5 and 12v supplys too. pull off the plastic front, cut out the metal faceand u can fit a sheet of your choice material as a front, SS if u want to work hard, Shiny polished coulored perspex, or a bit of old ply from the garage.. the metal cover will be splashproof, and silicone sealant could seal any area in danger of a splash

yes an old pc case sounds ideal if complete with power pack your on a winner.

Maplins do a good range of project boxes but the bigger they get the more expensive they are, and you will need a fair sized one.

A 1/8 ply self built plywood box could be used inexpensively, painted and or varnished it will be splash proof.

Plastic stacker boxes could be converted.

Yup, an old PC box is looking good and I can get one easily. I had thought of partitioning the cool box but the CFC takes up too much room.

Atb. aamcle

CPC farnel http://cpc.farnell.com/ do a range of boxes with various IP ratings.
I am mounting my controller at a bit of a distance for space and splash reasons and using one as a sort of docking station where everything plugs in. :electric:

Latest posts

Back