Confused

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paramotoring

Reaction score
I'm just in the process of making my 1st every wine.... Damson wine. Its been fermenting now for 16 days . Bubbles have really slowed down . I've measured the wine with my hydrometer but the reading is 1.00
.... does that mean no alcohol?
I would be grateful of any help please.

I'm just in the process of making my 1st every wine.... Damson wine. Its been fermenting now for 16 days . Bubbles have really slowed down . I've measured the wine with my hydrometer but the reading is 1.00
.... does that mean no alcohol?
I would be grateful of any help please.
No, it doesn't mean no alcohol. It means there's no sugar left as the fermentation has converted it all to alcohol.
The wine should now throw a deposit and start to clear a bit. You'll need to siphon it off into a second, clean demijohn, leaving the deposit behind, and top it up to the bottom of the neck with boiled and cooled water. You should then leave it for a couple of months in a dark place, for fermentation to finish and the yeast to clean up its own by-products, before bottling it and leaving it at least 6 weeks in the bottle before drinking.
Congratulations. First one sounds like a success.

Don''t forget to check your airlock from time to time to ensure it doesn't dry out.

No, it doesn't mean no alcohol. It means there's no sugar left as the fermentation has converted it all to alcohol.
The wine should now throw a deposit and start to clear a bit. You'll need to siphon it off into a second, clean demijohn, leaving the deposit behind, and top it up to the bottom of the neck with boiled and cooled water. You should then leave it for a couple of months in a dark place, for fermentation to finish and the yeast to clean up its own by-products, before bottling it and leaving it at least 6 weeks in the bottle before drinking.
Congratulations. First one sounds like a success.

Don''t forget to check your airlock from time to time to ensure it doesn't dry out.
Thank you so much for your reply and help. I was panicking a bit. How can I tell what the alcohol Content is?
Thank you again

Latest posts

Back