cold storage of finished wine?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grinchy

Reaction score
i have recently bought a fridge for my wine and beer, you know to leave room in the domestic fridge for food! Thing is, i have recently found that a new batch of white wine (kit form) which has been stored in the fridge since bottling, has gone water coloured i.e. looks like i've just poured it straight from the tap and has lost a lot of its taste! Now this is the first time i have experienced this, is it the fact that i have immediatley cold stored it which has caused a chemical imbalance, or might something else have happened to it??

Not seen or heard of anything like that . . . In fact the ideal cellar temp for wine is around 12C . . .. which is what the commercial wine fridges are set to .. . . . What was the wine?

It was a homebrew shop bought white chianti kit. I have done one of these before and really enjoyed it with no problems in the process, however never cold stored it before.

Only problem i had with it was it tasting very dry even though the hydrometer tested 1002. Homebrew shop said it must be a fault with hydro so bought another, but same reading!! Didn't clear very well initially so put it through a filter which finished the job nicely. Couple of days in the fridge and it turned to water with very little taste! :eek:

It has now been blended with a fruity red and a bit of sugar to produce a rather splendid tasting redder than pink rose.... :clap:

Dont want the same thing to happen...might just put one bottle in the fridge and see what happens. :wha:

Back