Clearing.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Landlord.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The kits I make don't tell you to rack for degassing and clearing and suggest bottling after two days when clear can I ask members how long they have left clearing wine, is a week too long to leave it on the dead yeast and oak chips etc?

I guess you are talking about the Myo kits.
Im not an expert, being on my 3rd one, but as there is a vegan in the family,I can't use the finings.
So my technique is to just leave the wine in the FV for about 4 weeks, then rack into demijohns so I can see when it's clear enough to bottle.

Yes this is a MYO if you are leaving yours for four weeks mine should be fine.

How long do they take to clear in the DJs with no finings?

Shine a torch through to check
I usually loose patience at 2 months & bottle a couple of demijohns while it's still a bit murky.
But the others that are left are good to bottle at about 4 months.

It might go faster in the winter or if you have cold crash facilities

I have only done the wine kits that most use which have the 2 stage finings which works so well within a couple of days.
Going back many years from memory it can take weeks without any finings it all depends on if the yeast has worked down to the last point or two as fermentation can drag on for weeks in older style kits or homemade recipes

I've always racked off the yeast and degassed/stabilised/fined in a clean fermenter. Then purely out of habit I leave it a week after the last part of the finings has been added before bagging.

Cheers Tom

SHMBO is responsible for the wine making in our household and usually leaves the wine after degassing and finning for anything up to 2 weeks before filtering and bottling, the reds and whites are generally crystal clear. However the Rosé wines tend to be more troublesome for some reason, and she often filters twice before packaging.

We bottled a Range Store make your own white wine on Sunday we left it two weeks clearing and it tastes great far better than we remember it tasting (long time since we have made a white wine) so no harm leaving it on the dead yeast, will definitely make this one again.

Back