Citric acid

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisRedWills

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi just a quick question I'm making my first fruity red wine and was hoping one of you seasoned brewer's could tell me when to add citric acid and how much I'm doing 1 gallon to see how it goes many thanks

Hi just a quick question I'm making my first fruity red wine and was hoping one of you seasoned brewer's could tell me when to add citric acid and how much I'm doing 1 gallon to see how it goes many thanks

Is this a kit wine?

No I've used 2 ltrs of welches red grape with the juice of a kilo of Forrest fruit topped up to about 4 ltrs
will add pectolase and yeast nutrient
thanks for helping

Did you add any sugar? I make it to get to a 12% wine you need about 910g total the juice gives you 330g no idea what the fruit will add but would guess only 50-100g total. As for citric I would wait till bottling and taste it to see if it needs it. or just add a tsp.

No I've used 2 ltrs of welches red grape with the juice of a kilo of Forrest fruit topped up to about 4 ltrs
will add pectolase and yeast nutrient
thanks for helping

We used to use citric acid in our supermarket juice wines but now we don't bother as the time i didn't add any we never noticed.

We used to use citric acid in our supermarket juice wines but now we don't bother as the time i didn't add any we never noticed.

I agree that red wines don't need acid, but experimentation has determined that a goodly dose (ie 5 tsp at the start of proceedings ) adds a distinct crispness to white wines. I used to use only citric but have started to use a ready-made blend of tartaric/malic/citric which goes down a storm with the missus.

Latest posts

Back