Centrifuge filter - anyone made one

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robint

Reaction score
We all know the problem of trying to clarify wort to get towards a reasonable presentable brew and Im not trying to go against natural cloudiness like Weiss Biers, but there are types of brews where its very time consuming to get down most of the natural sediment and trying to use filter papers is fiddly and time consuming. I have seen how laboratory centrifuges work with little phials rotate at 4,000 rpm so thats not practical.
I have seen https://pro-xtractchefcentrifuge.com, which is the secret USP of the Fat Duck and Bloomingmouth pseudo molecular gastronomer used for a while, but these machines are ca £10k, so I thought that DIY ingenuity of homebrewers might have adapted an old school spin drier with a suitable plastic vessel inside so that you just whirl the fluid around so the solids are thrown against the wall - just a thought

Any ideas?

Use kettle finings, use clarity ferm in the fermenter.
At the end of ferment chill, add auxillary finings wait one day and then use SuperF finings one day later you have bright beer.
If you've spunded to target vols as ferment finishes you are transferring bright carbonated ready to drink beer to the keg.
Not sure as a home brewer I need any quicker than that.
Also choose your yeast wisely, kveik can save you ferment time, but also floccs really fast.
Nothing seems to drop brighter than Philly sour yeast.
But a micro centrifuge or mashpress for homebrew would be a gadget to try.

I don't think a centrifuge would work for this, Reverse osmosis, vacuum( low pressure ) evaporation or technique works.
I thought they were also using spinning cone centrifuge to keep more of the wine polyphenolic quality (oooo get me 😁) than either vac dist or RO.

Last edited:
Wow this has been interesting research.

It seems a spinning cone centrifuge is used in a low temp distilling column, under vaccuum to leverage centrifugal force to remove alcohol from food & wine.

I bet they are not a fiver on ebay and we can plug it in to an inkbird 😂😂

Centrifuge separation came up at college, in the mean time it looks the science has moved on. The American industry seems to prefer it for "dealcoholization" 😁

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back