Can I use a turbo yeast sachet with a hedgerow wine brew?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm starting a hedgerow wine fermentation - raspberries, brambles, gooseberries and blackcurrants - but don't have any wine yeasts to hand. Can I use some just out-of-date Turbo yeast instead?

does it not have a lot of unwanted flavours tho?

being out of date it might not be as potent could try it I guess
Thanks ODNT,
I didn't use it in the end as I found a part tub of Youngs "Dried Active Yeast" BBE 08/14, yes 08/14 so not even 10 years out of date yet, in the back of a cupboard. I made a starter with Youngs yeast nutrient and sugar, waited a couple of days until it was fizzing nicely, and then added it to the must.
It's going like a train now, and I plan to rack it into demijohns with airlocks when it calms down.

BTW I was clearing out some cans in a kitchen cupboard a few months ago and noted that most of it was "out of date". I have been using them regularly since then with 100% success, and the best result was a can of Polish Golonka meat, 10 years past its BBE, and it was just fine.
I'm in the Highlands of Scotland, so storage in other latitudes and climates may give different results.

👍👍👍

We managed for 1000s of years without bbe labels.

I have a mark 1 nose, which works a treat. Ditto taste buds. Or do people prefer to deligate there health & well being to an inkjet printer

Your health may be at risk if you do not keep your stuff in a fridge or other cool location for it.

Thanks ODNT,
I didn't use it in the end as I found a part tub of Youngs "Dried Active Yeast" BBE 08/14, yes 08/14 so not even 10 years out of date yet, in the back of a cupboard. I made a starter with Youngs yeast nutrient and sugar, waited a couple of days until it was fizzing nicely, and then added it to the must.
It's going like a train now, and I plan to rack it into demijohns with airlocks when it calms down.

BTW I was clearing out some cans in a kitchen cupboard a few months ago and noted that most of it was "out of date". I have been using them regularly since then with 100% success, and the best result was a can of Polish Golonka meat, 10 years past its BBE, and it was just fine.
I'm in the Highlands of Scotland, so storage in other latitudes and climates may give different results.

Back