Burco boiler limescale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ash

Reaction score
Hi

After a fairly unsuccessful brewday trying to do an extract recipe in a stock pot, I managed to get hold of a 30l Baby Burco boiler off Freecycle (or freegle as its called now) :thumb: . Its one of the old ones from the 50s/60s and has a good rolling boil with a flat bottom and hidden element (and has a great retro look).

The problem is that it has a lot of limescale at the bottom and because this has been used a a wash boiler in the past i'm afriad that it will give a washing powder type taste to the wort, and therefore, the beer :sick:

I have tried two types of limescale remover to get rid of it, but to no avail. Before i go to plan B and convert one of my FVs using cheap kettle elements, has anyone got any suggestions how i could remove the build up at the bottom of the Burco? :wha:

Ash

I had the same problem when i brought my BURCO, What i did was soak some kitchen role in white vinegar and apply it to the lime scale left it to penertrate for a couple of hours then filled it up with water and added the lime scale remover, cant remember which one i used but i got it from wilkinson and after 24 hours it was all gone.

Hope that helps
Davesiv

You need to soak the area's covered with a 50/50 mix (neat would be better but I think the size of your boiler it will cost a fortune) of distilled white vinegar and water overnight then a good rub around should remove the limescale, if you need more abrasive action try some salt.
Also lemon juice is good for breaking down limescale try that.

Hope it comes up trumps!! :thumb:

Thanks guys, i'll try these methods. I already tried vinegar, but maybe didn't leave it long enough so will try again. Planning a brew day tomorrow (Saturday), so hopefully something will work.

85% phosphoric acid, rubber gloves and a green scrubby will shift the worst of it . . . then change the green scrubby for a white non stick one . . . Or Pickling Paste from a welding shop . . . Or Beer stone remover from somewhere like Murphys.

Don't dilute these weak acids like vinegar or lemon juice use them neat, but it will take longer

muddydisco said:
You need to soak the area's covered with a 50/50 mix (neat would be better but I think the size of your boiler it will cost a fortune) of distilled white vinegar and water overnight then a good rub around should remove the limescale, if you need more abrasive action try some salt.
Also lemon juice is good for breaking down limescale try that.

Hope it comes up trumps!! :thumb:

Any reason why i need distilled white vinegar rather than malt vinegar? (i've got a bottle of Sarsons in the cupboard)!

lazydog said:
just a idea but would cokacola work its cheap and supposed be an acid

Could work; just googled it and it has a Ph of around 2.5 :shock: (and we drink this stuff), vinegar is about 2.0.

Coke concentrate is around 85% phosphoric acid, and requires Hazchem notices on the vehicles that are transporting it. . . . . I don't drink it

Giving the neat vinegar a go........keep your eyes out for a post "how do i get rid of the smell of vinegar from my boiler!" ;)

Latest posts

Back