Brought cider....funny smell/taste???

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stoney

Reaction score
Hello people...hope all is well...I have been buying a range of ciders from the local company...They are the best I have tried however this one perticular type has a kind of unpleasant gas smell...almost sulphury....It also is in the flavour slightly...I know this perticular one is sweetened somehow (maybe by adding a gas C02?). I am thinking now that I have a bit of gasy stomach.

Does anybody have any idea what this could be? should it be like this?? I have brought a lot of variety from there...but am unhappy with this type as it just doesnt seem right...I'd like to get an idea of what it could be before I phone them up.
Many thanks

Stoney

Sounds like the yeast to me :thumb:
Some cider yeasts WLP 775 for example produce a sulphur odour and flavour during fermentation, it does disappear after a couple of weeks of ageing ;)

Thanks Tubby

The only thing is this guy lets it go through a secondary fermentation and then bottles it when he needs it and so as far as im aware its been . Its really bizzare...as far as I know this cider has been aging for a year maybe even 2.

Still not sure..although Im taking som bottles back to him so he can see.

Back