Brewing Keg Pressure!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danfa31

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm completely new to this..
I have purchased a Bulldog Premium Cider Kit
Part one all fine. Followed all the steps exactly, and I'm now at the secondary fermentation stage. I am using a S30 Keg for this which I syphoned the cider into.
Firstly the barrel is not completely full with the cider. It's holding around 40 pints, and there is some space at the top.
I added the sugar, and left as said to do in the instructions.
The next day I cam home to dripping form the tap, which I discovered was because of build up of pressure. I opened the cap to let the pressure out, and this fixed the leaking.
How do I stop this?
How do I check/use the valve?
Is my cider ruined from opening the cap?
Any help or advice would be massively appreciated.

Cheers

Dan

I have never used a keg, but as anything ferments it releases CO2 this is produced by the yeast as it feeds on the sugar, and there for the pressure in the FV will increase, this is normally released with an air lock which allows the co2 out but does not allow anything back in, most people either use a demijohn, fermentation bucket or a wide neck fermentor, all of which have facility for an air lock.
You will not have done any harm buy opening the keg as long as nothing went in.
When it is fermenting vigorously you will probably be alright just leaving the cap open slightly so it is not sealed allowing the gas to escape. I believe the valve in the top of a pressure keg is a one way valve to allow you to pressurize the keg.

Although they are called pressure barrels they don't really like holding much pressure.
If you have an S30 type cap then there should be pressure relief valve (rubber band) although as you have found the tap tends to leak before this releases excess pressure. One way to overcome this is just release a bit of pressure by loosening the cap, this should stop the tap dripping.
If you leave the cap open (not sealed) then the secondary gas will escape and the cider will end up flat.
The S30 valve is designed to fit an S30 C02 canister so you can inject Co2, usually during dispense as the pressure drops off. You can also fit the small disposable cartridges with an adapter.
Also double check where you leak is coming from, as said the tap itself do tend to drip but the seals are also a favourite weak point.

Back