Brewing Fridges - Frost Free

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesb

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'm sure I read somewhere that ideally you don't want a fridge with a frost-free feature. Anyone know if that's right or not?

It applies only to keeping frozen yeast samples ina freezer . . . the heating cycle can cause a loss of viability in short order . . . Frost free fridge :hmm: Not heard of one as in theory it should never freeze.

Aleman said:
It applies only to keeping frozen yeast samples ina freezer . . . the heating cycle can cause a loss of viability in short order . . . Frost free fridge :hmm: Not heard of one as in theory it should never freeze.

I think it applies to ones with ice cabinets. They tend to freeze up.

The reason you don't want one with an ice cabinet is that it will be much colder at the top of the fridge than the bottom, that's why the salad drawer is always on the bottom, so you don't freeze your poor little gems!

Ideally if you want a consistent temp in the fridge, you need the air inside to be circulated such as with a fan, and no ice box otherwise you will experience temperature zoning.

UP

Already ahead of you on that one UP :thumb:

After a few months of ebay watching, I managed to get one. Getting dropped off tomorrow. I needed a bigger one because I have a 60l fermenter.

And after rummaging around at work, I found an old back bar fridge (I have no idea why, we make scientific instruments) that I'm going to use as a "cellar".

Latest posts

Back