Brewery near completion

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prolix

Landlord.
Reaction score
Well just a few more bits to add to my brewery before it is where I will be happy for 5 mins but it is coming along

fullmash.jpg

It is a two vessel, full pre boil volume, recirculating infusion mash with no sparge, or the biggest RIMs ever.

Left is the HTL/Boiler, right the mash tun, I have a 70l thermo to replace it with to get big beers, but this works well with beers up to 5%.

So water goes in the HTL, grain in the mash tun, turn on the pumps and the power and leave it for a while.

Full brew length recircs through the grain and gets up to temp and controlled by pids and boiler.

The temp increases to 66°c or set temp and stays there

Waiting on the vertical float switch, to go in the boiler, to cut off the pump if the level drops too low, as balancing the pumps is nigh on impossible.

once mashing is complete, up the temp to 80°c. when thats achieved turn off the boiler pump, drain the mash tun and then let the boiler boil away.

Benefit? Well as the mash never gets low gravity, no Ph worries or tanins. Should produce better quality wort. takes up less room, reduce faff and time spent on brew days

Down side? efficiency falls but a hand full of grain will sort that out for next to nothing. (that said I got 75% with my brew yesterday) Worries about grain to liquor ratio, BIAB brewers have been doing full legth mashes with no concerns and this research suggests there is no down side to the brew with larger ratios.

So just need an extra camlock part a, Kiowa want to charge me £12.82 :eek:

The float switch to arrive so I don't have to balance manually for 90 mins

Control panel for the pumps, just to tidy them up

Oh and a Blichmann 12 gallon conical fermentor :pray:

That looks really great Prolix :clap: yet another trying to lead me down the "Shiney" path. :cool:

Latest posts

Back