Braumeister 500 litre.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have wondered why breweries in the uk don't ship wort duty free. Send like a obvious diversification.
My thoughts are the craft brewers go into the brewing industry led by their hearts, not their heads. Duty if it's the same as here has to be paid before a beer is sold. Going into the fresh wort kits foregoes duty. How many home brewers want to chuck a brew together but doesn't have the time. I have bought them a number of times in the past when I was time poor.
With the new Solstice mini, which is cheap, just pour the wort into a keg, ferment and serve from the keg. I tried a beer from one of these units a week or so ago even with heavy dry hopping the beer was good and surprisingly clear for coming out of the fermenter with dry hops. A good coffee machine will set you back more.
IMG_1215.JPG

This could well be the future. Brewery sells you a container with wort in. Add yeast, leave for 3 weeks, serve in something like a pinter
https://pinter.co.uk/

As you said, no duty. Arguably, we wouldn’t pay sugar tax either as that’s refined sugar.
If fresh wort kits became the popular way to have your own beer at home I wonder how long it would take for a government to bring in legislation to tax either the retailer or the purchaser?

The malt miller sell the fresh wort kits, but they are £40 plus yeast plus dry hops, so even with the dry yeast and cheaper hop option you’re looking at £50+ delivery for 20l.

Quite a few breweries sell 20l bag in box of beer for ~£60, so not a massive saving overall.

The malt miller sell the fresh wort kits, but they are £40 plus yeast plus dry hops, so even with the dry yeast and cheaper hop option you’re looking at £50+ delivery for 20l.

Quite a few breweries sell 20l bag in box of beer for ~£60, so not a massive saving overall.
Strewth! They are about the same price here in dollars, so half of what you are charged in the Old Dart.

Back