bottling....screw tops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont know about using the same top but Im going to just cork them, the hole is slightly bigger than a corked bottle and plastic stoppers cant be used as the hole too big. Havent yet corked any screw top bottles with a brew yet so will be interested to see if anyone posts who has used it for reals ( with a brew)

CptnCrackoff said:
hi all, can screw top used wine bottles be re-use to bottle wines
You can certainly use them but be careful because the glass at the neck is much thinner than cork type bottles and there is a risk of breakage.

Best to use capsules also as the corks will be looser, or some folks just put the screw top on over it.

Hi captain, I use scew tops all the time and had no problems. I am no expert however, plus my wines dont stay around too long. For short term storage i swear by them, but long term i would cork them.

I too have used screw tops on many occassions and found no problems. I am certain to ensure that they go through the same sterilising procedure as the bottles though! Also, having worn one or two of them out, i have found that a standard cork has sealed the bottle sufficiently, although i do then tend to use that bottle sooner rather than later...Tapered corks are of no use in screw top bottles...

Back