bottle storage conditions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Presently, i have 120+ bottles of homemade wine, they are in racks in the spare room, along with all my beers!!, however, the wife wants to convert this room into a guest bedroom, which leaves me where to store my wine, at the moment, the sheds looking favourite, i have insulated it with thick sheets of cardboard, and inside there is a freezer and 2 worktop fridges, so that will keep the shed warm, although only a bit..

What i would like to know, what harm can come to my wine by putting it into the shed..knowing that there is gonna be tempature differences, when its hot, its +30 in there ,one time it was 42c in there, and then theres winter on its way!!

Whats the best solution, short of drinking the lot, i wanted to keep making and let the wine mature over the years!!!

Thanks guys
:) :)

You want to keep it around 12C - certainly nowhere near or below freezing! Big variations and high temperatures will affect the wine; look up the history of Madeira to see what happens.

no, i dont want that....just had a thought, i can get it under the stairs,its dark and cool, maybe that would work...although its a pain in the **** getting in there!!!

Thing is, who can get somewhere in there house at 12c, and more to the ;point, am i alone in how much wine i make..and if not...where do you keep your wine!!!

Be interesting to know!

falafael said:
Thing is, who can get somewhere in their house at 12c ?
Victorian houses can be a PITA from a maintenance point of view, but my cellar stays around 12°C, give or take a couple of degrees, all year round.

Go get a shovel :lol:

and more to the point, am i alone in how much wine i make..and if not...where do you keep your wine!!!
Currently 14 gallons on-the-go upstairs and 11 gallons clearing or maturing down the cellar.

Also around 140 bottles of beer and 50 bottles of wine down the cellar :D

Latest posts

Back