Bottle conditioned Pure UBU

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mollusc

Reaction score
For Christmas and New Year we bought in two mini kegs of Adnams Broadside and two of Pure UBU. All was fine until I opened the last keg, a Pure UBU, which was decidedly cloudy. The beer smelt fine and didn't taste too bad, but had a slightly 'chewy' taste and I got the impression that the beer would go off before it cleared.

Rather than put up with 'chewy' beer or even throw it out I've bottled what's left and now have six bottles of UBU sitting in the warm. They may never clear, but at worst I can harvest the yeast.

I really like their beers. How are they going? Looking any better?

Hmm, not great; only the top inch or so has cleared :-(

I decided that it was time to crack open one of the UBU bottles to have with the Sunday roast.

My last post reported that the beer hadn't yet cleared; what I had forgotten is that UBU is rather susceptible to chill haze and once the beer warmed up it was perfectly clear.

I'm pretty happy with this experiment as the beer has gone from a rather 'chewy' pint to a rather pleasant, gently carbonated bottled beer. Although I like the normal commercially produced bottle of UBU I definitely prefer the naturally carbonated version.

Latest posts

Back