bottle capper.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the candyman

Reaction score
yay! i just bought a bench capper from my local home brew shop, a very good price of 28.50 quid.not sure what make it is? it just says made in italy.going to bottle on fri or sat i think.

i will probably have to invest in one of these as my 2-handled capper doesnt seem to like the bottles i use (mainly crabbies & kopparberg).

Lager lout do you have a youngs one? Mine works great on the kopparberg bottles!

I loved my bench capper in comparison to the twin lever type...had too many bottles skid and spill using the twin...then it wore out...couldn't take the pressure :roll: :lol:

that is why i spent the extra cash on the bench one.should be allot better than the two handeled ones.

kwakamat said:
Lager lout do you have a youngs one? Mine works great on the kopparberg bottles!

Yes it's the youngs one bought from Amazon. I find with kopparberg and crabbies bottles the lip on the neck that the capper grabs onto is too high, so the levers are almost horizontal before there's even any resistance. It quite often clamps slightly to one side initially so i need to rotate 90 degrees and cap again. I'd say on average when capping 40 bottles i have to discard 8-10 caps, tho it always caps first time with newcy brown or magners bottles.

Bench capper is the best investment going.
When I was still using the 2lever thing, I put all the bottles in one of those collapsible wineracks (on its side) and squashed it till they couldn't move, and kept a knee against it (and the other side up against the dishwasher) while I capped.
I actually felt safer with the hammer on capper than the lever one - which took the neck off a Wychwood bottle once, and seemed to spoil about 1 in 10 caps, and was actually quite hard work.

Malinsons brewery use a 4 tier bottler and 1 bench cappper it takes them 2 hours to bottle cap label and put in boxes lol labour intensive will be my future lol on a wednesday when im not brewing lol. I know ill employ cheap child labour :thumb:

Devonhomebrew said:
Malinsons brewery use a 4 tier bottler and 1 bench cappper it takes them 2 hours to bottle cap label and put in boxes lol labour intensive will be my future lol on a wednesday when im not brewing lol. I know ill employ cheap child labour :thumb:

You have to start some where mate!

I've lost 1 cap per 40-70 bottles, using the two handled ones, and only smashed two bottles

Top tip to stop your bottles slipping on the worktop when capping with the levered capper - lay a soaking wet tea towel on the surface first and do them on this. I have no problems with slips or spills this way :thumb:

Latest posts

Back