Boadicea's Return

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewzone

Regular.
Reaction score
I plan to brew on Friday maybe Saturday using the following

9 Kgs Maris Otter
1 Kgs Crystal Wheat Malt
60 Gms Boadicea 7.6 AA 90 Mins
60 Gms Fuggles 4.4 AA 90 Mins
60 Gms EKG 5.7 AA 90 Mins
40 Gms Boadicea Flameout
40 Gms Fuggles Flameout
40 Gms EKG Flameout
2 Protoflac
2 * Windsor in one 5 gallon FV
2 * Nottingham in the other 5 gallon FV

40L at 1.062 OG - 1.016 FG and 6% ABV
66 IBU's
SRM 16.9 ?

It's been 4 months since the last brewday so I'm looking forward to tasting the differance the two types of yeast provide.

Having never used Protoflac I decided to give it a try. Usually Irish Moss but I'm open to idea's.

I got everything from Barley Bottom of course! Thanks Reaper!

Pics to follow

Have a good one BZ :D

I found protofloc to be great for coagulation but I have ended up with floaters in the FV with it.

Wez said:
Have a good one BZ :D

I found protofloc to be great for coagulation but I have ended up with floaters in the FV with it.

Cheers Wez,

I'll keep an eye open for any floaters :cheers:

I'd be interested to know how the Protofloc goes too, I use Whirlfloc exclusively at the moment. I'm also interested as to why you are using 2 packets of yeast in both brews? I use 1x SO4 in upto 25l of brew, 2x packets seems an awful lot for 20l. I know SO4 is particularly vicious at munching through sugar mind though I do have some Windsor and some Nottingham I plan to try at some point.

I hope all goes well with the brew, brewzone. :thumb: ..that's a long lay off....you're as bad as me :roll: ...remember the pics ;)

Mr Matly's yeast pitching rate calculator Mr Malty
estimates these batches as needing 14g of dried yeast at 90% viability.
Shop bought packs only contain 11g, so you'd be under pitching, just using 1 packet

Underpitching and overpitching can make the yeasts behave differently and impart different tastes to the beer. Underpitching is a way of stressing a yeast, and it's sometimes done deliberately.

Re protafloc, remember to have some ducks handy to skim the floaters off, at the end of fermentation

Have a cracker there BZ, I have some Boadicea hops too.

On the yeast front I have used both Nottingham is very clean and goes absolutely ape on the malt in solution eating pretty much everything and Windsor is much more laid back and leaves some residual sweetness and a pleasant bready taste.

Parva said:
I'd be interested to know how the Protofloc goes too, I use Whirlfloc exclusively at the moment. I'm also interested as to why you are using 2 packets of yeast in both brews? I use 1x SO4 in upto 25l of brew, 2x packets seems an awful lot for 20l. I know SO4 is particularly vicious at munching through sugar mind though I do have some Windsor and some Nottingham I plan to try at some point.

I've taken to using 2 11g packs per FV as the couple of times I've done it the main fermentation seems to be over in around 36 hrs. It only adds a couple more quid to the overall cost so what the heck.

Vossy1 said:
Re protafloc, remember to have some ducks handy to skim the floaters off, at the end of fermentation

Ducks ducknapped and at the ready! :)

Hoping to start around 0900hrs sharp!

I'm a 2 packs of yeast a brew man, I think the extra £1.00 is well worth it :thumb:

J_P said:
Have a cracker there BZ, I have some Boadicea hops too.

On the yeast front I have used both Nottingham is very clean and goes absolutely ape on the malt in solution eating pretty much everything and Windsor is much more laid back and leaves some residual sweetness and a pleasant bready taste.

I'll let You know what I think about the Boadicea!

Mum had a dog named BUDICA hence the recipe name.

I've not had any issues with S04 in upto 27 litres of wort yet (an 11g or 12g pack, whatever it is). :) The brew I'm drinking currently has Boadicea in it, very nice it is too. :)

Well I finally got around to brewing today. :D

Here's a few pics of the proceedings.

/BZ

01%20Heating%20Up.JPG

02%20Sparging.JPG

03%201st%20Runnings.JPG

04%20Sparging.JPG

05%20Sparging.JPG

06%20Sparging.JPG

07%20Hot%20break.JPG

08%20Hot%20break.JPG

09%201st%20additions.JPG

10%202nd%20additions.JPG

11%20Sparge%20ring.JPG

12%20Sparge%20ring.JPG

13%20Rolling%20boil.JPG

14%20Sample%201060.JPG

15%20Finishing%20hops.JPG

16%20Cooling.JPG

17%20Cooling.JPG

BrewStew said:
are you gravity feeding your chilling water?

Hi Brew!

Yes both the wort and the cooling water were gravity fed.

I did use the pump to fill the HLT for sparging though just to try it out.

I got 68% brewhouse efficiency which I'm happy enough with.

I'm still sparging too quickly though so will pay attention to this next brewday.

Great pics.

You should be a bit careful with the extension lead still coiled if you're running a few Kw through it though as it can heat up quite a bit.

What are you using as a heat exchanger to chill the wort. Looks like a therminator or a domestic boiler heat exchanger? How are the hoses connected as I bought a domestic one and it has no connectors or threads.

Smod said:
You should be a bit careful with the extension lead still coiled if you're running a few Kw through it though as it can heat up quite a bit.

What are you using as a heat exchanger to chill the wort. Looks like a therminator or a domestic boiler heat exchanger? How are the hoses connected as I bought a domestic one and it has no connectors or threads.

Hi,

I only run the pump on electric so not really an issue but thanks for the advise anyway :-)

It's a boiler heat exchanger with 1/2" hosetail fittings.

I did manage to modify one without threaded fittings with male 3/8" bspt brass to 1/2" hosetails using a little silicone sealer to make it water tight.

3/8" bspt fittings

They will screw in just about and a bit of silicone round them keeps them water tight.

You could use JB Weld for a more permenant fitting.

/BZ

Latest posts

Back