Beetroot Wine Update

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Welshwitch

Reaction score
Morning all especially my new partners in crime Moley and Wurzel thought I had better tell you about my venture into wine making I have just made up (with Mr Witch) a gallon of Beetroot wine my recipe was

4lb Beetroot
3lb Sugar
Juice of 2 lemons
Yeast.

Boiled up beetroot until it was tender. Strained it into a bowl onto the sugar, when the sugar had dissolved we took a reading and the hydrometer was off the scale so we called it 1030. Added yeast.
Then posted a help request and Wurzel suggested I mince up some raisins, so added them with some cloves must also confess we put it straight into a demi john as I wanted to see the bubbles (how childish) anyway its bubbling away.
Now one last question am I right in saying I should rack it off (see even picking up the lingo) the raisins in 7/10 days to another demi-john ????
Must say I am really enjoying this Damson and Bramble wine next oh yes and found a good Apricot Recipe, keep eyeing up Mr Witchs marrows read you can make wine from them. ************

Sorry, I deny any complicity in this, I've never made beetroot wine but I knew who to ask.

when the sugar had dissolved we took a reading and the hydrometer was off the scale so we called it 1030
I think you might mean 1.130, but I'm not sure how you would get that. If you've got 3 lbs sugar and juice of a couple of oranges in 1 gallon I reckon that should be 1.115, and I don't have the faintest idea about sugar content of beetroot. If your DJ's not quite full, which it shouldn't be at the start, then that could push your reading to 1.130

Any decent yeast will handle that amount of sugar, and this should end up around 16% abv.

Damson and Bramble wine next
Sounds good to me, our freezer is full to overflowing with both, tell me more?

OK Moley conceed defeat but you have to accept some responsibilty as you were the very first answer to my very first post. Yes sorry slip of the finger did mean 1.130 beetroot is quite sweet, now removed the airlock to allow the yeast to multiply (as per CJJ Berry) if this wine survives it will be a miracle.

Have you got freezer full of Damsons and Brambles, I was going to make separate wines not combined but it gives me food for thought actually. Will get back to you on recipe I use probably doing that at weekend.

I am in competition with Mr Witch as he and Son start cider making soon. They are also into the home brew beer.

Put the airlock back in!
I hope you've got the neck covered with something gas-permeable but fly-proof.
It should have had enough oxygen introduced by straining and pouring, and the yeasties have got enough nutrients.

I've already got 3 gallons of Blackberry & Apple in DJs, another 3 gallons of Blackberry, Elderberry, Rosehip & Apple (long story, will explain later) about ready to come out of the bucket, quite a lot more blackberries in the freezer and a good haul of damsons. I should be starting off 5 gallons of Damson in the next couple of days, but thought you meant you had a combination recipe. No matter, I might make up my own.

I would still be interested in your Damson recipe, I've only got the one in CJJ Berry's “First Steps”.

Ha ha OK airlock is back in will let you have my recipe for Damson Wine later this evening in the meantime know its not quite homebrewing but have you tried Damson Gin for using up some Damsons Mrs Moley will love it we prefer it to Sloe Gin now.

1-1/2 litres of Cheap tesco Gin
2lb Damsons
8oz sugar

Prick Damsons all over with pin put in a screw top jar (I use an old Roses sweet jar) with sugar and gin stir well and leave in a dark cupboard for 3 months. Shake the jar every other day or so. Then strain into sieve or Muslin back into the empty gin bottle and leave to mature for as long as you can resist.

We are in our third year of making it and left last years batch in the cupboard for a year with the Damsons still in the gin and it is superb. The first year we made it in September and drank it at Christmas. The Damsons can be frozen after they are taken out of the gin and used as ice cubes in drinks, might try one in my next Rum and coke.
Get back to you later re Damson Wine.

Couldn't find any damsons last year :(
Know where to find them now though :D

Elderberries work too. :thumb:

Back