Beer foaming when bottling

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sprocker

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking for advice please.
Just started to bottle my latest batch of Old Peculiar clone, which I've made three times before. Exactly the same recipe apart from the addition of 100g Torrified Wheat to aid head retention.
Fermented under minimal pressure in an all rounder for two weeks at 20 degs C.
Crashed to 4 degs C for two days. All Exactly as I've done before.
This time as soon I add 1tsp brewing sugar it foams up and out of the bottle.
Started at 1.060 (Usually 1.057) and finished at 1. 016 (Usually 1.014).
Any ideas why it's foaming, and is there anything I can do to recover it please?

I'm losing a quarter of it out the top as foam.
Ah, sorry. It sounded like you'd already bottled it all.

As mentioned, it's a combination of the carbonated beer and nucleation sites on the sugar.

Let the pressure off the beer for 24/48 hours
Or make a sugar solution either in water or in beer (from your fermenter) and use that instead of sugar.

I also have a feeling (about 75% certain) you could put a small bit of beer in the bottom of each bottle on top of the priming sugar. Let it foam up and die down. Then fill the bottles after it's died down - it probably won't foam up much/at all as the sugar will have fewer nucleation sites as it'll have partially dissolved in the first shot of beer

Ah, sorry. It sounded like you'd already bottled it all.

As mentioned, it's a combination of the carbonated beer and nucleation sites on the sugar.

Let the pressure off the beer for 24/48 hours
Or make a sugar solution either in water or in beer (from your fermenter) and use that instead of sugar.

I also have a feeling (about 75% certain) you could put a small bit of beer in the bottom of each bottle on top of the priming sugar. Let it foam up and die down. Then fill the bottles after it's died down - it probably won't foam up much/at all as the sugar will have fewer nucleation sites as it'll have partially dissolved in the first shot of beer
That makes sense thankyou. I'll do as you suggest and de-pressurise the fermenter, ill leave it until the weekend and then try again.

Latest posts

Back