The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put more through the beer engine than the keg taps now.

It’s friggin awesome and lasts for months if needed.

Attachments

• 51844cc7-20b6-4881-8b27-ed732b141b9e.jpeg
    51844cc7-20b6-4881-8b27-ed732b141b9e.jpeg
    40.8 KB
I have used a corny keg with my beer engine, co2 pressure as low as I could get it. I am using a check/demand valve in line. The resulting beer is great, but much more waste than feeding it to my normal tap with 15 psi co2. 10/10 for the experience of having “cask” ale at home, but 5/10 for the wasted beer each day. I live on my own and only drink a pint daily, with more on a Friday night.

I have used a corny keg with my beer engine, co2 pressure as low as I could get it. I am using a check/demand valve in line. The resulting beer is great, but much more waste than feeding it to my normal tap with 15 psi co2. 10/10 for the experience of having “cask” ale at home, but 5/10 for the wasted beer each day. I live on my own and only drink a pint daily, with more on a Friday night.

How much of a 23l batch do you waste then?

@d146895x: @MashBag ain't kidding (well ... he is, but you get used to that!): There is no reason to lose any beer left in the pump cylinder for two or three days. A hand-pump has been designed for use in a drinking establishment (:beer1:) and needs some minor modification to operate in a home environment. The most common "modification" is empty it and rinse it after every session ... humm, but I can't be bothered with that either and it still loses some beer and you can't remove all the rinse water (so watered beer?).

You need something to seal the nozzle (I use solenoid valves hidden in the pump, but fixing up a non-return valve in the sparkler seems a good route). Plus: Purge any silicon tubing in the pump with PVC tubing (a better oxygen barrier). The latter can be awkward (silicon tube is very flexible but oxidises the beer well within 24 hours).

Latest posts

Back