Beer Engine set up help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A T

Regular.
Reaction score
I have a beer engine sitting around for over a year now, among other things i never used :oops: So i figured it's time to dust it down and put it to work. From what i have read on the forum, to hook this up to my cornies i need the following parts:
Cask breather (barley bottom) inlet 3/8" outlet 1/2", so i take it this means i need a JG 1/2" to 3/8" reducer?
Check Valve (barley bottom) inlet 3/8" outlet 5/8" pipe fitting, I'm not sure what to do from here :wha:
Could somebody please give me a quick run through on what i need and maybe in what order they're set up, just so i can have it right in my head before i place an order?
There's no beer engines in this country so this is all alien to me :?

When I used my hand pull I had 3/8 from corney to check valve and 1/2 braided hose to engine, short as possible or you get froth!!
In the keg I had minimal co2 pressure to act as a blanket over the brew so no need to let air in through a breather.
I stopped using mine, if I had 2 pints a night I had to waste 1/4 -1/2 a pint each day puling fresh ale through the engine! :(

I'd stick a decent font ;)
John

BB Polysulphone QD's with a shut off valve make life really easy, all you need do is undo the coupling and pull the remaining beer through . . . even flush with water/ sanitiser. . . although I never had too many problems with mine as the stuffing box has a water jacket so beer from corny had a python line which ran through the water jacket . . . everything was kept cold.

Although I only use the Beer engine for parties and BBQ's . . . I'm thinking of getting a cypherco Pin to go with it for this use.

I love my beer engine and cant wait to get it back into action :party:

I don't bother with a cask breather, just keep minimal pressure in the cornie and use a check valve.
Did use it daily for awhile, but now its just for parties & BBQs and I use a dalex tap most of the time.

It is great though, and there is something special about serving your own beer through one :thumb:

Latest posts

Back