beer and co2 pipe size

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darrenwest1

Landlord.
Reaction score
i have read a few different things but i am after some advice please
so i have a varitemp beer chiller 2 cornelius kegs and a fosters beer tap
the pipe from the beer tap seems to be about 6mm id
so what should i use
and also why jg fittinge as in the motor trade we used to use different ones that worked up to 200psi for air brakes

cheers

darrenwest1 said:
i have read a few different things but i am after some advice please
so i have a varitemp beer chiller 2 cornelius kegs and a fosters beer tap
the pipe from the beer tap seems to be about 6mm id
so what should i use

I'm not familiar with that particular chiller but presumably it'll have 3/8th fittings for which JG connectors are easily obtainable. I run 3/8th pipe from cornie to chiller and use a JG 3/8th to 3/16th fitting on the chiller product out and because my tap is also 3/8th I use another 3/16th to 3/8th fitting for the tap, the 4ft run of 3/16th pipe restricts the flow of beer such that I get a glass of beer and not a glass of foam. You could of course do away with the reducers to 3/16th pipe and just run a much longer 3/8th pipe but your first pint is likely to be nearer room temperature than nicely chilled (depending on the run length of 3/8th that you use).

I can't say for certain but it's quite possible that your Fosters tap uses 3/8th line. Bear in mind that measurements are taken on the outer diameter and not the inner diameter that you state above.

and also why jg fittinge as in the motor trade we used to use different ones that worked up to 200psi for air brakes
cheers

I would imagine that JG fittings are recognised in the licensed and catering trade as food safe and hence widely used in those industries. I use a brush with nylon bristles to clean my teeth and a brush with nylon bristles to clean my toilet, I wouldn't really want to use the latter to clean my teeth despite it having similar properties (the brush that is, not my teeth!). :lol:

I'm hoping to get a beer tap this week, which will be connected to my varitemp, so hope its an easy JG fitting

Latest posts

Back