Barrelling + botling from the same brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drf

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm about to start my first brew. For various reasons I'd like to both bottle and keg. Brew length is 5 gal & I have a 5 gal keg. I will rack from the primary into the keg+priming sugar. I know it's better not to have air in the beer after it's fermented, so I'm a bit concerned about the air space that will remain in the keg.

I'm thinking of maybe doing 15-20 bottles, which would mean my keg would be only about half full of beer. Am I going to end up with a keg of oxidsed ale? I guess I'm asking whether anyone routinely bottles half of their keg, and whether they've experienced any problems.

Might it be an idea to vent the keg by opening the lid a bit after a few days to remove some of the air as the CO2 will be sitting more on top of the beer. The keg has a CO2 injection valve so I can top up later if it's not coming out.

Thanks in advance.

Chirs

Add the beer to the keg and then gas with CO2. Leave to settle for 5 mins and then vent the barrel - the air will be forced to the top by the CO2 and vented out when you open the top (or valve). Top up again with CO2.
Sorted, with a nice layer of CO2 over your beer :thumb:

ATB

Latest posts

Back