Barrel question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Templar

Reaction score
Ok, so second set of questions for the day, as a result of yesterday's bottling day.

Which is the best barrel-for-your-buck?

Our options seem to be either the Wilko cheapo one (Circa £41 with CO2 cap) or a Top Tap King Keg (Circa £46 with pressure cap, though I don't think it comes with the CO2 bulb holder).

Are the King Kegs worth the extra? It would be useful to be able to put it on the cold concrete floor in the garage, but I've heard people complain of gas leaks, and that the Wilko one is cheaply made.

We are certainly going to get another barrel - the Sundew we have in our 1984 Boots barrel(!) is absolutely beautiful, though it could do with being a little cooler for my tastes, and it tastes a lot better than the over primed bottled beer we made, though they are a lot easier to transport!

Thoughts? Input? Or any other suggestions - bearing in mind we only have Wilko local or a website called BetterJugs that is close enough to pick up and save a few pennies on delivery.

Cheers all!

For the cost of plastic kegs (£40 plus) and the fact they are ok not great i would use glass bottles and save up your cash to get cornie kegs (£60 plus) , i wish i had done that , plastic kegs are only good for low carb beers too .

never used plastic kegs but have read many many horror stories about them.

I'll stick to my bottles.... great beers
and a few cornies to help out....

Once you learn to love bottling....your onto a winner.

Never had any problems with my Wilko one but I don't actually use it at the moment because I like cold beer with a decent amount of carbonation. Might use it again in the colder weather for strong / winter ales.

I'm not sure a cornie keg is really going to work for me at the moment. I barely have enough space to store the rest of my kit, let alone the additional gas etc I assume you'd need with a cornie.

If you think the Wilko one is ok, then that's fine. It's mostly going to be for stout/christmas ales, and maybe a nice summer one too. I'm not a fan of fizzy ale.

Cheers

I use a wilko keg for my ales and don't mind them at room temp, I am going for a corny setup but not ready for it yet. But I do use a load of bottles too

I've had a bit of a horror show with the Wilko Kegs.

I got excited and had 5 of them so as to get a good production and chance to age the beer a little, my tale....

All stored in the cellar, so usually around 14 degrees....

Tap went on one, not the seal but the actual tap was forcing liquid out, hard to explain, but i know it was closed, and somehow it was forcing around the bit the between the actual tap and what it sits in, the holes were nowhere each other, Wilko sent me a whole £20 refund (No money for the lost kit)

Replaced keg, I replaced taps on all the kegs, brewed a Festival Ale, 3 weeks after kegging, with their supplied sugar, about 10pints in, greeted by a crack in the bottom, beer lost, keg replaced again, no refund on lost ale again.

And once more, now a Colne valley kit has gone over my cellar floor (Top tip, cat litter is the best way for such spills)

Still waiting on a verdict from Wilko.

Seems these kegs just aren't designed for any real pressure, yes they swell, but seems to me the little rubber strip around the venting valve doesn't do its job when the pressure builds up and they find a weak point in the plastic.

I have one of the 'Injector lids' wondering if that may be better, or if using it, if there's a pressure gauge that will allow me to check it (to keep under 10psi) and vent it when necessary, may solve some explosions.

0022563_l.jpg

I will be heading round a few locals and collecting bottles, seems the best bet, then will have to redo my shelf storage options in the cellar.

I have two King keg top taps which I've been using for over a year now.

No real horror stories. Lost pressure a couple of times, my fault for not lubricating and tightening the seals. I have had to replace one of the valves as the pin bent. Of course, no pressure no beer.

Another thing, if you go for this option I'd recommend getting a brass co2 bulb holder. I've found the plastic ones start to split after much use.

The beer in my barrels isn't as good as what I get from glass bottles, but the King kegs are pretty reliable imo.

I have 5 KK's both top and bottom taps, they have been in constant use now for the best part of 15 years and apart from regular application of vaseline to the lid and regular cleaning of the tap - complete strip down - and put back together with vaseline in the thread for the tap they have been no trouble at all, I have no experience of other PB's.

I also support the use of bottles, I usually bottle about 10 to 15 pints from each of my brews so I build up a good selection of beers for any occasion.

You really do need to watch your pressures with plastic kegs. I wouldn't use them now without a gauge fitted (either a tyre valve or pressure gauge - from eBay) as it is so easy to exceed the recommended 10 psi max.

I only use 70 to 80 gms of sugar to prime and still have to vent off excess pressure sometimes if I am ageing it for a reasonable time.

It amazes me when I hear people recommending 150 gms of priming sugar for 23 litres or so.

Wezzel said:
You really do need to watch your pressures with plastic kegs. I wouldn't use them now without a gauge fitted (either a tyre valve or pressure gauge - from eBay) as it is so easy to exceed the recommended 10 psi max.

I only use 70 to 80 gms of sugar to prime and still have to vent off excess pressure sometimes if I am ageing it for a reasonable time.

It amazes me when I hear people recommending 150 gms of priming sugar for 23 litres or so.

Do you know of one for the standard s30 wilko tops?

Seems I now have one that has no pressure in it, so for what kegs I have I plan on using co2 in future

I'm not familiar with Wilko kegs but I am assuming that they have a 2" cap.

You would probably have trouble getting a valve or pressure gauge to fit without obstructing the S30 valve. There is plenty of room on the 4" caps for both.

I have seen a thread somewhere where someone actually drilled the top of the keg and fitted a valve but that is not for the faint hearted!

My grandad always used to use a cider barrel as they're thicker and usually designed to hold more pressure - I think there are a couple of suppliers out there I've seen that supply these for not much more than a standard keg so might be worth having a look at these?

Cheers,
Mark

Wezzel said:

You would probably have trouble getting a valve or pressure gauge to fit without obstructing the S30 valve. There is plenty of room on the 4" caps for both.

I have seen a thread somewhere where someone actually drilled the top of the keg and fitted a valve but that is not for the faint hearted!
Wilkos are 4". They are just youngs barrels.

Wilko ones are OK but just be sure not to overtighten the cap - 'fingertight' for me knackered the first two seals. Also be prepared to change the tap for something a bit more meaty as they can leak around the outlet.

Wezzel said:

I'm just looking for one that I can just press on to the valve to check, have seen the modification.

Just looking for a similar kinda tyre tester type, my mountain bike pump has a built in gauge, but doesn't fit the wilko barrel valve.

Ridiculous thing is, had 2 that wouldn't release pressure, now got one that just released it all!!!

Have taken the lid off as it was escaping from the pressure band bit, and put the s30 on, best get supping this weekend.

May order one of these...
http://www.flowfitonline.com/cgi-bin/sh ... P40B015PSI

They do them at 0-15psi which sound perfect, just need to work out what size an s30 cap thread is, but could be very useful at under a fiver!

I fitted car tyre valves to mine (free from the local tyre shop). They fit through a 12mm hole. I wrapped the threaded end in some cloth and used pliers to pull them through after applying some fairy liquid to lubricate. They fit very tightly and don't leak. Alternatively I think someone here has also used motorcycle valves which have a back nut on them. You can pick up a digital tyre gauge from Hellfrauds for a few pounds.

Not only are valves good for checking pressure but also good for releasing excess pressure or purging air after filling.

I also have a couple of pressure gauges that I have yet to fit.

http://bit.ly/1brntkT

Latest posts

Back