Barley Bottom Test Brews

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barley Bottom

Reaction score
The new Barley Bottom Brewery had its 2nd test brew on Wednesday, 82 litres again, the first test brew last week gave us a few teething problems. I didn’t pre heat the mash tun so ended up with a 62c mash. We had a few problems with the fermenting temperature at the warehouse. It went up to 26c and then down to 16c, the beer is drinkable but a little thin, I’m hoping it might be better after a week or two in the barrel.

The 2nd test brew went very well, we started with strike temperature to 80c, which gave us a 66.7c mash, temp. I’m also using a small garden shed as a heated fermenting cupboard; this is working very well and is keeping the temperature at a nice steady 21c. We have a small fan heater inside connected to an ATC. See pic of ATC with top one beer temp and bottom air temp.

This weekend I’m plumbing in a sink unit and a permanent water supply.

I’m going to have another test brew on Wednesday if all goes well I’m hoping to launch the brewery by the end of January.

Brewery and fermentin cupboard
P30-12-11_15451.jpg

Top is beer temp, botton is air temp in the cupboard
P30-12-11_15461.jpg

Looking good Paul. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

Latest posts

Back