average time for fermentation?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weepete

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I realise every brew is different with all the variables and that but was wondering if you guys had a rough idea of how long you would expect for an average fermentation to finish? Just very roughly, as I'm going to try and produce a rolling stock of but have filled up 5 gallon FV (which is now into week 4 or 5 and still fermenting) and 4x1 gallon DJs which the oldest is 2 weeks and still going! I'm doing all wine atm but am considering starting a TC so if I could get. An idea for both I'd appreciate it!

Pete

It depends. My first 2 wines were Solomon Grundy kits and they fermented out in about 4 days, my orange WOW and apple and mango WOW took about 10 days I think. My Ribena wines (original and strawberry) have taken 11 days already and still knit finished, so I'm expecting 14-18 days at a rough guess.

I'm new to brewing, but the above may help to give you an idea of times. My temps were about 24'-26'c.

Hi Pete, I would usually expect most wine fermentations to be finished within 2-3 weeks, but as you said, "every brew is different with all the variables" so it's a tough question to answer.

Don't try to rush things though, let the yeasties take as long as they need, and then I would give at least another week after all activity seems to have finished before first racking.

I've had WOW-types ferment out in a week, but at the moment I'm quite happy for my red fruits to take a month or more.
stevie1556 said:
My temps were about 24-26°c.
A bit too warm there, aim for 20°C give or take a couple, unless your yeast instructions tell you differently.

I generally allow two weeks for fermentation, then another week after if it needs to settle a bit more before racking. My mead and alco-water took a bit longer I think. If you think it's going slow you could maybe add a bit more yeast nutrient and top up with a little warm water if there's room, I find this usually gets the yeasties all excited again!

If you're into week 4 or 5 with a wine, it might be worth racking it off the sediment and letting it keep going in a fresh clean DJ - I've heard it can affect the brew if it's left hanging around on dead yeast for too long.

Gayle said:
If you're into week 4 or 5 with a wine, it might be worth racking it off the sediment and letting it keep going in a fresh clean DJ - I've heard it can affect the brew if it's left hanging around on dead yeast for too long.

I've had a few that took ages. I generally rack at 1 month if it's not done by then.
As I understand it, it's not so much the dead yeast just being there as that if the live yeast runs out of sugar to eat it'll start eating the dead yeast and /that/ gives off flavours.

I see you have a pomegranate TC on the go - opened the first bottle of mine last night, really really good. Will become my default addition.

Latest posts

Back