Anyone Make their own Bag? BIAB Brewing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alanywiseman.

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have recently become the proud owner of a 10G pot which I have plans to add a couple of elements to and start BIAB while I am still living in a flat. I wanted to know if anyone has made there own bag and what kind of stitching did you use?

I had my nana stitch mine up and she mentioned something about double stitching it. that's as much as I know but it didn't give way with 6kg of grain soaking.

The Beloved stitched mine and reinforced it with tape, make sure you use polyester thread not cotton as it lasts longer.

ATB aamcle

Check out my BIAB "how to" - there's some instructions ans a couple of photos to get you going. :thumb:

Cheers for the replys. Sadly I do not know anyone who is good with a needle and thread so had planed to learn how to do it myself, could end up with grain all over the floor mind!

calumscott said:
Check out my BIAB "how to" - there's some instructions ans a couple of photos to get you going. :thumb:

I have been over there. There is a LOT of information on bag design, bit overwelming but I will get there and will update when I get round to it.

I've made a couple - not one a beauty but they do work. I prefer to use polyester thread and a short straight stitch. I then run the sides to be stitched 3-5 times through, or until I lose interest, which is normally 3 times :D.

Don't know if the pic is of any help.

bag.JPG

I did the sums and made a paper template, the light of unreason did the hard bit, she's very talented, and sowed it up.

The bag is an actually truncated cone, I think a maths teacher told me what they are called but that was decades ago ............... so truncated cone will have to suffice.

Aamcle

lambert said:
I've made a couple - not one a beauty but they do work. I prefer to use polyester thread and a short straight stitch. I then run the sides to be stitched 3-5 times through, or until I lose interest, which is normally 3 times :D.

Don't know if the pic is of any help.

bag.JPG

What sort of fabric is that?

Interesting, it looks so coarse in your photo I thought it must be something else. I have been wondering if slightly coarser would be better. Particularly as I would like to recirculate into the bags as I raise it out, to filter it.

lambert said:
Polyester Voile from Amazon - link

I'm also needing a bag making. I will get the mother in law to make it for me. Would you happen to know how much of this Voile I would need for a 50L pot?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
marksa222 said:
lambert said:
Polyester Voile from Amazon - link

I'm also needing a bag making. I will get the mother in law to make it for me. Would you happen to know how much of this Voile I would need for a 50L pot?

Thanks!

Two meters should be plenty (depending on the drop length - any drop longer than 20 inches will be good for a 50L pot) - possibly enough for 2 bags and a hop sock/dry hop bag or two.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish I knew someone that sewed! I have been having a look around and was thinking of going with these guys. They are a bit more expensive but i want a cyrlindrical bag and these ones look great value.

Latest posts

Back