American Brown Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhorner

Reaction score
It's a brew day again! Finally after a 4 month hiatus. Decided to brew up a favorite from last year that really turned out well and disappeared fast.

My recipe is posted here with other notes regarding the beer http://mhorner.blogspot.com/2011/11/texas-tornado-brown-ale.html.

A gloomy day out, probably best for brewing with temps in the 50's F (10 C).
3602e7d1.jpg

Here is a quick look at my mash. You can see the nice brown color to it already.
001f6b67.jpg

d0300313.jpg

A little look at the first runnings. Looks a bit like used motor oil.
36f88348.jpg

ae8af89b.jpg

31892cc3.jpg

Second runnings are tad lighter.
1a12f577.jpg

Discovered a small leak in my mash tun during the second runnings. Looks like I have a little tightening to do.
46cef84a.jpg

In all, turned out about 8.5 ~ 9 gallons in yanks measurement.
f1d4bf3e.jpg

Here are my hop selections.
e6892798.jpg

Siphoning to the FV looks fantastic. Nice dark brown.
18cae5dd.jpg

f2fd7057.jpg

Last but not least, here's the yeast (American Ale Wyeast 1056) pitched on this one.
521fda5d.jpg

Ended with a OG of 1.052. Unfortunately I am still off on my sparge volumes. I also ran into an issue with my IC. Blew the drain line off the hose end and shot hot water everywhere. Other than all the issues with hoses, the brew went smoothly.

Great post and great pics, thanks.

Let us know how this one turns out, looks interesting. :thumb:

Sorry I missed this thread Matt! Looks like you had a great brewday. I look forward to sampling the beer.

Jim, I think it depends on the brewer's equipment. Most standard brew kettles don't come with a valve on them so you either have to drill one in or siphon into the FV. I do it the same way Matt does but I know other brewers who use a valve.

Baz

Lovely looking brew! :D great recipe and love the name' :D can you describe special roast malt? Don't think I've seen that over here! Anyone know of a UK sub?

Seeing all this is making me want to buy more kit and try AG! Thanks for all the photos , hope you're enjoying your ale

Latest posts

Back