American Amber Ale - My First Solo AG

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhorner

Reaction score
Today I am embarked on finally brewing my first solo AG without assistance from Baz (phettebs). I think it went well and shockingly without too many hiccups. Here are the shots of my brew....

My newly completed mash tun and the rest of my gear.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-AGFZ0UJS0Os/TeqVn3_bGlI/AAAAAAAAx-Y/Sl3xDSZUbJ4/s640/IMG_0461.jpg/img]
[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Pn0Gm4TOUAM/TeqVfrkKcAI/AAAAAAAAx-M/3ZuedLLlarA/s640/IMG_0458.jpg
IMG_0460.jpg

My grain comprised of
9.5 lbs of American 2 Row
1.0 lb of Belgian CaraMunich
0.5 lb of Belgian Special B

IMG_0463.jpg

Start of mash with 5.5 gallons of strike water.
IMG_0464.JPG

My first run off after 75 min mash.
IMG_0466.jpg

On the way into the brew kettle. Nice amber hue.
IMG_0467.jpg

IMG_0468.jpg

First hop addition of 1.5 oz Cascade hops grown by Barry in Northern WI.
IMG_0470.jpg

Finally got to boil with 6.5 gallons and nearly boiled over in my 11 gallon kettle. Like I said, this was my first solo brew.
IMG_0471.jpg

Finished up with a 1.050 OG which was just a bit short of the target of 1.054. Not too bad for my first solo brew day on my newly assembled equipment.

Going to the FV, ended up with exactly 5 gallons which was an even more impressive accomplishment.
IMG_0476.jpg

IMG_0477.jpg

IMG_0480.jpg

Last but not least, full 5 gallons of wort ready to pitch the yeast.
IMG_0482.jpg

All in all, about 5 hours of prep, brew and clean up time. Went well other than a bit of a leak with my chiller which was just user error.

I have the full details on the recipe posted here.

Well done indeed Matt! I knew you'd ace it.

Yes, who is this Baz of which you speak? Sounds like a nice chap!

Barry

Thanks guys. I definitely had a very good teacher with a lot of patience and willingness to explain and explain again. Can't wait to taste it and get to brewing my next one in 2 weeks!

Well done on popping your cherry, your going to have to push Barry to open up his wizards sleeve, so you can hang out it & compare brews in future now. :thumb: :thumb:

UP

Latest posts

Back