Aluminium keg to boiler help please!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nath812

Reaction score
Hi peeps,

I have used the search button on this forum and spent hours looking at various google pages but I still need help!

I was given a uber old keg from a landlord which is made of ally a couple of days ago when I was at his beer fest! I use a placcy diy boiler and wanted to "updrade" to s/s and gas but as it was free I thought I would give it a go.

Im not worried about the alzhimers debate and the use of ally. What I am concerned about is the fact that on some forums it says that ally is fine as long as its not a keg. Apperantly the inside of these kegs can come off when used as a boiler. Is this true? If it is, why? Beer comes in ally cans so im assuming its the boiling part of it but then ally pans are used in kitchens everywhere.

Any help would be great guys.

Ta,

Nath

um err.... unsure.... he said he has had it for years and years and the brewery will never take it back as there is no brewery anymore!

I will shout him tonight to make sure, ta for the heads up.

Assuming legal Ally keg

Aluminium kegs are lined with a special epoxy coating to prevent beer taint. The real problem is that this coating does come off with time, and I am not sure what would happen to it if you were to subject it to high heat loads. . . . Removal with a fine grit wet and dry is a possibility, and then fill keg with a dilute acid solution overnight will help the formation of a stable Aluminium oxide layer . .. as opposed to an unstable one which is nasty to look at.

So basically...... Stainess it has to be then! I dont want any hassle from using the ally keg if its gonna shed weird stuff in me beer!

Ta for the help peeps, I take it nordic optical from the french ebay are still selling!

Latest posts

Back