AG #20 Cascade Pale Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrfrosty

Reaction score
I have a load of cascade hops so i've decided to do a single hop brew with them on saturday evening. Here's the recipe i've decided on.

AG#20 Cascade Pale Ale
46 Litres

7.20 kg Pale Malt
1.80 kg Vienna Malt
0.44 kg Caramalt
0.12 kg Torrified Wheat

56.00 gm Cascade (60 min)
28.00 gm Cascade (30 min)
20.00 gm Cascade (15 min)
20.00 gm Cascade (5 mins)

Est OG: 1.049
Est FG: 1.012
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.81 %
Bitterness: 30.9 IBU

Going to use Nottingham for a change as i've been abusing US-05 for a while. I'll make sure i take some photos as i havent taken any for a while now.

Rob :cheers:

Cheers guys, everyone loves cascade :) going to be weighing out the malt and hops tonight as I have the kids all day tomorrow while the wife is working, and there's nothing worse than a four yr old and one yr old trying to jump into an FV full of malt. Been there, not doing it again lol :nono:

Aiming for a 5pm mash :)

Rob

Well i managed to get the Mash on at 4:30 which all helps for an earlier night finishing. All went well with the brew, and i filled 90 bottles of English Pale ale during the boil. Did have a couple of scares with hydrometer readings. Half way through bottling i had forgotten i hadnt checked the gravity. It was Nottingham yeast, it had been fermenting for two weeks, and after the initial yeast crust it has subsided it had completed like the rest of my brews. I even tasted it 2-3 days before bottling and it tasted perfect. Anyway my brewing friend took the hydrometer reading and it read 1018. Told him to take the reading again, the same :( I had to accept the fact that it was only 3.5% i was hoping for about 4.5% but it tasted good, so thought it would become a nice session beer.

The Cascade pale ale brew finally finished at 10:30pm which was a good time as i was up at 6:30 this morning to go mountain biking. When taking the hydrometer reading it read .990 for a split second i nearly had kittens, then checked the hydrometer and the glass was all smashed on the bottom, so this would have effected the reading in the Englich pale ale as well. I had to find out a very old hydrometer belonging to my dad and is possibly 40 years old plus. It was calibrated to 60 deg F so after taking the reading and converting to deg C and adjusting temp i got 1.045.

Took some photos so here they are.

6782043627_f4f2cd96cb.jpg

6782046697_a0bc74a5eb.jpg

6782089091_894b453977.jpg

Thirsty Work :drink:
6782052729_0b0f7b7996.jpg

6782058091_26bab79d42.jpg

6782039409_d510b6f6c8.jpg

Good work Mr F, nice to see you using the best china for the hops.

I'd be interested how your Mad Goose turned out; I've done it a few times, all slightly different, but good :thumb:

Hi GE, The Mad Goose turned out very good. I did a blind taste test with my cousin, half pint of mine and half pint of the real thing. One had a better smell, head, taste and mouth feel over the other. He prefered mine :clap: I made a bad second one but my 3 yr old wanted to help and mash in, by the time he had finished the temp was way low and I struggled to recover back to 66oC. This batch wasnt a patch on the first one I brewed.

Mr F, and the Mad Goose, I think it's a good brew to mess around with but keeping the ingredients as per Purity, they have all turned out very good, and in my experience can be drunk quite young. :thumb:

I've got an UBU planned :D

Definitely agree GE, I've been making a few APAs by making them up as i go along with heavy hopping at the end for aroma. All of them have been great very young!! In fact i drink most of my ales young, but as i have so many in the garage they all slowly mature as i cant drink them all that fast :drink:

Rob

Latest posts

Back