AG #20 Caledonian 80 Bob (with alot of pics)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abeyptfc

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi folks, decided late last night to brew, so stuck on an overnight mash and boiling the wort today.
I fancied trying something different from the hoppy pales and decided on an 80 Shilling. I used Dunfie's recipe that he brewed a while ago here - http://thehomebrewforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=33090. I didn't have any amber malt or wheat malt so had to just use what I had in stock so it will turn out a bit different.
60 min boil.
my recipe was:
4kg Marris Otter
270g Brown Malt
100g Crystal 25
247g Crystal 40
50g Chocolate Malt

hops:
23g Challenger @ 60
20g Target @60
10g Challenger @5

I suppose the brown malt will be more roasty than the amber malt but it will just need to do.
I kept the first gallon of first runnings and boiled that down to half a gallon, I also had some spare wort left that wouldn't fit in the boiler so I added that back to the first runnings and boiled it down again for another 30 mins or so, then added to the boiler with 30 mins left.
got a few photos

grain bill

doughing in

mash temp spot on

caremelising the first runnings

first runnings

hops

hops going in

spent grains

hydrometer reading.the wort was very clear coming from the boiler.

Great looking beer Abs :thumb: . Glad to see you doing the caramalising of the first runnings.

cheers for the tip Alistair, I tasted it pre and post caramelising and it was superb , cracking toffee malty caramel smell, can't wait for it to be ready. :cheers:

Depends on weather as I mash in the garage but I loose about 6c overnight.

Sparge with normal 75c water.

Saves a fair bit of time doing it this way but can often produce a drier finished beer.

K

Great looking brew day. That wort looks a nice colour and as you say crystal clear!

:thumb:

I used Nottingham Kev.It was all I had as it was a spur of the moment brewday. I ended up leaving it mashing from 9pm to around 12.30am so it was only a 3 and a half hr mash, so technically wasn't a full overnight mash! I only lost about 1 degree over this time, the mash tun only had 2 towels over it so it wasn't properly insulated. I emptied the MT overnight then when I got up this morning I filled the HLT to batch sparge then to boil.

Should have said. I have Edinburgh yeast in the house and the grains you were missing.

Drop me a note next time you're short of stuff.

K

kev said:
Should have said. I have Edinburgh yeast in the house and the grains you were missing.

Drop me a note next time you're short of stuff.

K

cheers Kev, I used the last of my Marris Otter up, I've got brewing vouchers for the THBC for xmas so will be placing an order soon.

bottled this today, it finished at 1.010, tasting superb and it's very clear.only balls up was a bottle didn't seal correctly so I got the other heavy duty capper with the big lever to seal it and ended up cracking the top of the bottle sending glass everywhere and trying to clean it up with a mad spaniel sniffing about trying to lick the beer off the beer bottles was no easy task!

that loooks the business there i will have to try the caramelisation of wort never tried it.
your beer looks fab there well done :thumb:

Latest posts

Back