AG#20 - Atomic Pale Ale, version 2!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NellyP

Reaction score
Had a great day yesterday helping Conanthebarber (Chris) with another attempt at a mega hoppy APA (the first one suffered from some dodgy yeast apparently). Recipe below is copied from his original post (please change it if I've got anything wrong Chris!):

Ferms:

4kg Maris Otter Pale Malt
0.5kg Caramalt

Mash with HERMS @ 66c for 60 mins

60 minute boil

Hops (oh, and there's a lot!):

Magnum: 5g @60mins
Millenium: 5g @60mins
Cascade: 5g @60mins

Magnum: 5g @50mins
Millenium: 5g @50mins
Cascade: 5g @50mins

Magnum: 5g @40mins
Millenium: 5g @40mins
Cascade: 5g @40mins

Magnum: 5g @30mins
Millenium: 5g @30mins
Cascade: 5g @30mins

Magnum: 5g @20mins
Millenium: 5g @20mins
Cascade: 5g @20mins

Magnum: 15g @0mins
Millenium: 15g @0mins
Cascade: 15g @0mins

Yeast: Safale US-05

I say I helped, I pretty much just took the piccys and enjoyed some of his quality beers!! :whistle:

Pics of the day:

Whatta lotta hops!

The setup

High levels of concentration needed!! :grin:

The pesky broken pump :electric:

Liquid refreshment :drink:

Hmm, can almost smell them! :thumb:

Using good old gravity when cooling following the broken pump situation

Slow but steady

Followed up the brewday with an evening touring the best good ale pubs that Shrewsbury has to offer, all in all a great day. :cheers:

Cheers Chris, will have to do it again soon.

Yes was a good day and good pics! I upped the flame out hops on this one so they were 25g of each not the 15 :lol: its going to be a hoppy mother!!!

Its fermenting like a good un now and will hopefully taste a lot better than the previous attempt which was :sick:

For anyone that's interested...we had an OG of 1048 and it will have an estimated IBU of 85! :eek: with the amount of flame out hops of 75g the hop aroma from this brew is going to be intense to say the least! :lol:

Cononthebarber said:
For anyone that's interested...we had an OG of 1048 and it will have an estimated IBU of 85! :eek: with the amount of flame out hops of 75g the hop aroma from this brew is going to be intense to say the least! :lol:

It's a hop beast! :clap: :cheers:

Hi NellyP and (CtheB),

Really fancy a go at something like this one day but... such a lota hop !

Re your BIG bags in the photos ( good by the way ) I note they come from Charles Faram. Is this company 'open' to small ish orders from the the home brewer ( not that your beer is short on hops ! )

Cheers and enjoy :thumb:

A

Some further pictures, of the fermenty goodness :0

Fridge.JPG

Ferment.JPG

I have racked this tonight and hydrometer reads 1006, so works out at 5.6% and its a blinking hoppy mother! Wow, it tastes great and fresh with loads of that lovely hop zing and citrussy goodness. Im leaving it in the fermenting fridge and dropping the temp to 5c for a few days to clear it then will bottle this for copious summertime consumption...can't wait, I think in a few weeks this will be absolutely cracking!

Back