AG#2 Summer lightning

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kev

Landlord.
Reaction score
Bought the ag kit from Brewuk and it's in the boiler now. Looks ace. Massive difference from my first attempt at all grain brewing a few weeks back.

Cut a long story short, last time there was a ton of little mistakes that ultimately meant I ended up with 23l of lumpy, cloudy low SG brown water. Never again I thought. So a few minor gear tweaks and a mental telling off for being impatient.

This time I used a proper boiler (burco) as my hlt meaning that I had correct temp liquor available all the time. Secondly I used a decent probe thermometer so I knew what was going on at all times. Then I've also experimented with putting tin foil on my mash - massive improvement! Not only in the sparge but in temp retention. Lastly I used a sample jar and my hydrometer to tell me when to stop sparging. Last thing I did was actually wait for clear runnings before pouring into the boiler. Last time I couldn't be arsed and guess what?. Cloudy scummy beer.

Anyway, 26L cooking away as I type. Will report back with SG and final vol tonight.

K

Forgot to add that my cooler mash tun lost less than 1C during the 90 min mash so my previous grumble about a **** cooler were false and it was me at fault all along!

K

Okey doke - yeast in and FV in the cupboard............

However.....

I now know why all my brews have been weak. I've MASSIVELY miscalculated the depth/capacity of my boiler and therefore taken WAY too much liquor through my mash which has obviously diluted my wort.

First thing that sprang to mind is that my HLT holds (less loss) 19L, and I had to top up twice during sparge. Second clue was the time it took to boil. At least an hour just to get near a boil. Third and last clue was the keg I use as a boiler. I thought I'd correctly marked 23l and was looking at the keg during boil and the 23l mark was almost at the top. I work for a brewery (hence the keg as a boiler) and I now that we don't sell 5, 6, 7 or 8 gallon kegs.....so my calculations are WAY off.

I just measured it out and made a dip-stick. It turns out I'd been using 33L as my marker for 23L!!! What a knob. So basically that's why my brews were off.

On the flip-side, I've ended up with 26L at 1039 and my recipe stated 23L at 1044. Considering I threw a few L's away as aI couldn't fit it all in my FV, my efficiency is ace. The recipe assumed 75% efficiency and I'm obviously exceeding that from my quick mental calculations.

K

Well done :thumb: Summer Lightning is a top brew :thumb: although GW's recipe has it at OG 1049.

Good Ed said:
Well done :thumb: Summer Lightning is a top brew :thumb: although GW's recipe has it at OG 1049.

Yeh well considering BrewUK always short you on grain in their kits (happened 4 times now) 1044 is probably right!

K

Latest posts

Back