additives

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GF21

Reaction score
Hi folks
I am thinking of using 'Harris pure brew ' as an additive in my brews , due to a chlorine issue with my water at home . Has anyone tried it , and what did you think . Does it work ? , is it worth it ? , any feedback would be gratefully recieved folk athumb..

Hi All,

Along to revive an old thread - I've seen plenty of threads on Harris Purebrew and I was tempted towards purchasing a load after a series of bandaid brews but I'm yet to dare use it as shown in the instructions from Harris.

I don't know how sterile the two parts of the product are when sold but it just seems like an unnecessary risk dumping something that hasn't been sanitised straight into your freshly-cooled wort. It seems inherently odd to be adding yeast nutrient and water treatment at this stage I can't believe the people at Harris would be amateur enough not to understand this.

Does anybody have experience of using it as shown without sanitising anything? It makes more sense to add both at the end of the boil but could there be anything within either the yeast nutrient or water treatment tablet that would be denatured at boiling temps? My limited knowledge also suggests to me that the tablet can't be pure campden as adding this when pitching your yeast would surely upset your yeast?

FWIW the first time I used it I dunked the tablet in sodium per carbonate but risked pouring some of the yeast nutrient into my cooled wort without touching it or using the supplied spoon. The resulting beer still had a hint of... homebrew.

Latest posts

Back