About pectin

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnaggerMan

Reaction score
So, fruits and etc. contain pectin, right? And it produces methanol when making wine, right? And fruits and etc. are used for making wine and cider, right? So, doesn´t that drinking homemade wine will make you blind or even dead? Or are the quantities of methanol soooo small it won´t cause any problems?

Pectin is a natural part of human diet, fruit contains only small amount, its used as a gelling agent in jams etc, in wine you can use Pectolase to reduce it in the wine and to prevent pectin haze. :cheers:

One for the chemists!

I don't know but, pectolase usually breaks down the pection, and most fruit wine brewers add some extra (above the naturally occurring pectolase). That's my two pence :>

Okay, but if you don´t add any pectolase, can your wine have enough methanol to make you blind?

Hmm . . . I posted a big reply to this but unfortunately its disappeared into the ether :twisted: :twisted:

(this is from memory . . . I can't be bothered to go back tot he books)

Basically pectin is a carbohydrate comprising of 1-4 alpha linked galacturonic acid, with some sections of 1-2 rhamose. Around 80% of the carboxyl groups are esterified with methanol, which is significantly reduced during the preparation of the must. . . . and that that isn't removed remains esterified to the galacturonic acid . . . and not free in the must/wine. . . . Therfore it isn't a problem to be concerned with ;)

Okay, thanks. I just would like to ask one thing. I started making sugar wine(kilju) in a ROX energy drink bottle, but I forgot to wash it. There was few drops of energy drink on the bottom. Could some ingredients in those drops start producing methanol or something else dangerous while fermenting? I espacially would like to hear Aleman´s comment, because it looks like he knows a lot about these things.

Aleman said:
Hmm . . . I posted a big reply to this but unfortunately its disappeared into the ether :twisted: :twisted:

(this is from memory . . . I can't be bothered to go back tot he books)

Basically pectin is a carbohydrate comprising of 1-4 alpha linked galacturonic acid, with some sections of 1-2 rhamose. Around 80% of the carboxyl groups are esterified with methanol, which is significantly reduced during the preparation of the must. . . . and that that isn't removed remains esterified to the galacturonic acid . . . and not free in the must/wine. . . . Therfore it isn't a problem to be concerned with ;)

When you put it so simple like that i have to agree and wonder why i hadn't figured it out earlier :D

SnaggerMan said:
I just would like to ask one thing. I started making sugar wine(kilju) in a ROX energy drink bottle, but I forgot to wash it. There was few drops of energy drink on the bottom. Could some ingredients in those drops start producing methanol or something else dangerous while fermenting?
Its not worth worrying about . . . Basically those energy drinks are sugar and a few other compounds to provide and 'isotonic' solution to enable the sugar to be absorbed . . . PLus some caffine in some form or other . . . they are pretty stable . . . they have to be in that cocktail :roll: . . so don't worry . . . In fact have a home brew :lol:

SnaggerMan said:
I espacially would like to hear Aleman´s comment, because it looks like he knows a lot about these things.
:ugeek: :oops:

Latest posts

Back