A question about temperatures

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrPips

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just a quickie. I understand that during the primary fermentation temp should be kept steady between 18-20 degrees c and that for the first few days after kegging it should be the same to aid the yeast but after that the instructions just say a cool place. I can control the temperature as much as I like so what would be the optimum temperature for the conditioning stage?

Thanks,

Dom

But how cool is cool? Is fridge cool too cool? 😃

In the absence of "the Fonz" of brewing, I would suggest that at this time of year, 2 weeks in the warm, then a couple of weeks wherever cool you can get - garage etc, then as long in the fridge as there is room for. A couple of days might help.

Ok, so if I have a spare fridge that will fit my keg should I put it in there? Or will that be too cold? It's around 5 degrees c I think it its highest setting.

I think that from this time of year through to the end of September (in the absence of a brew fridge) for both fermenting and conditioning it's the best you can manage. For fermenting I use Mauribrew 514 and Mangrove Jacks Workhorse yeasts that are both high temperature tolerant. For Conditioning, I use the shed and hope for the best. Last year the beers conditioned in the shed seemed to stay a bit hazy but as I only usually drink Friday and Saturday I tried to load them into the fridge as early in the week as I could get away with.

Ok, so if I have a spare fridge that will fit my keg should I put it in there? Or will that be too cold? It's around 5 degrees c I think it its highest setting.

Yes you can do that. Basically your lagering your beer at those temps. But ale benefits from those temps as well as lager.

Ok thanks, will that speed up the conditioning at all?

Short answer, No. At best it will be the same but possibly take longer (although I'm unsure wether it will take longer but I'm inclined to think it will be the same, as aging and lagering are two different things) as things happen slower at colder temps but you will get a better beer as any solids (yeast, tannins, etc) will participate out to give you a nice clear beer and your beer will be crisper

Latest posts

Back