3v set up

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonnyD

Regular.
Reaction score
Please excuse my ignorance but if you have a 3v set up, HLT, Mashtun, and boiler, do you still need a 4th for FV?
Also i see alot of people using only 2v, how does this work? sorry for the awful questions, i couldnt seem to find the answer anywhere. pictures greatly appriciated.

jd

Hi and welcome,

Yes you still need a FV as the 3 vessels are as follows HLT to heat the water for your mash, mash tun to mash in and the boiler to boil your wort.

A 2 vessel set up is where people use the HLT as the boiler to boil the wort after the mash and sparge cycle, this can be a nice cheap way to get into AG until you are sure its for you This will still require a FV.

A good book to buy is either "How to brew " by John Palmer or "Brew your own British beers " by Graham Wheeler.

Hope this helps,

Cheers, :cheers:

thanks for the quick reply, i think im going to get a book just so i can refer to it instead of asking stupid questions :doh:
i already have a boiler that i used hlt and wort boil so i guess that is a 2v system i was already using. I have made a couple of ag's now and have a bit of a crazy set up. i.e. lifting hot full buckets due to no taps etc. im looking at upgrading slightly into a more automated gravity fed system 3v as ive already got the equipment to do this. need to work out hows the best way to do it. been looking around and there are some awsome set-ups that people have got. im going to use a HERMS through the HLT and have a false bottom on the mashtun and boiler. i do however need another mashtun. is a standard bucket with isulation adequate for will i need something more substantial? i see SS pots that people have got and some dont use any insulation? dont know how this is possible.

The SS tuns you are referring to probably have a double wall and are therefore insulated. Getting the mash right is so important and so it is definitely worth investing to get it right. Not sure why you need 2 though?

The best standard type mash tun is the ss thermo pot which is insulated internally , very strong , no rust etc easy to clean and hold temp very well , imo worth it .

pittsy said:
The best standard type mash tun is the ss thermo pot which is insulated internally , very strong , no rust etc easy to clean and hold temp very well , imo worth it .

Pittsy what do you mean stainless steal inside insulated? Do they come as standard?

Edit: and what size?

This is the type preferred by many as the mash tun. It comes with an insulated lid. They have good insulation and are easy to clean. You do need to do a bit of modification if you get a Bergland one, by putting in a valve etc. But although a lot more expensive than plastic cool box types, they work well and are easy to maintain.

60ltr_thermopot.JPG

What type of filter would be used on this? False bottom or drilled copper manifold. Also what size should I get. I brew about 23l batches ATM.

bobsbeer said:
...although a lot more expensive than plastic cool box types, they work well and are easy to maintain.
My coolbox mashtun works well and is easy to maintain. Is the main advantage of an insulated SS tun therefore its lifespan plus the fact it's shiny? If that's all I don't think I can convince myself to upgrade (though I am trying to do so).

i bought mine today. £75 including postage for a 60L SS thermopot. Need to buy all the bits and bobs now to convert i.e. false bottom, tap etc. depending on how my next few brews go i may upgrade the pot to incorporate a herms system. but thats future planning iff needed.

You wont regret the thermopot mashtun i have one they are great and easy to clean and handle.Have you considered a pump to tranfer fluids from one vessel to another it might be a thought.

Latest posts

Back